Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Miyako Odori 2008 2008/1/16 03:22
I would like to attend one of the performances, however I don't know how to buy tickets in advance. I tried emailing my hotel to see if they could get them for me, but it's been over a week and they haven't responded. (They're usually very prompt, so I think maybe they don't know what I'm asking for.)

Is there a site that won't direct me to the 2006 performance schedule? So far that's the only link I've been able to find.
by Kay  

... 2008/1/16 08:19
Here is the official English website:
http://www.miyako-odori.jp/miyakoodori/english.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

Site 2008/1/17 01:26
I found that site yesterday. It was very helpful for figuring out which tickets I wanted to buy, and which performance I wanted to attend, but I can't actually get the tickets.
by Kay rate this post as useful

Reserve by the Fax 2008/1/17 07:48
You need to reserve the ticket by the faxmachine.
I make it too allready for the last 2 years and it works.
By reserving the ticket write your acomodation adress, name of your hotel and the phone number.
by Robert rate this post as useful

In the same boat! 2008/1/18 19:15
I am having the exact same problem! I have contacted my hotel, using their online enquiry form as recommended by my travel agent but I have yet to receive a response.

Robert - when using fax to place the reservation do you then pay for the tickets on collection or is a deposit of some kind required? Do you get any kind of confirmation?

I am looking to buy 2 special class tickets and I am only in Kyoto for a few days, so I really need to reserve a place before I travel! I wanted it to be one of the highlights of my trip!

by Emx rate this post as useful

pay at the performance day 2008/1/19 11:00
You pay at the performanceday when you pickup your reserved ticket.

I see the miyako odori performance at the gion kobu kaburenjo theatre, and there was a specialy ticketoffice just for reserved ticket.
When i pickup my ticket i have my faxing reservatingorder whit me and show it at the ticketoffice.

and... 2008/1/19 11:06
and i reserved the performance ticket before i travel to japan.
Dont worry it works.
The japanese people are verry friendly.

hotel concierge 2008/1/20 04:44
-------I am having the exact same problem! I have contacted my hotel, using their online enquiry form as recommended by my travel agent but I have yet to receive a response.-------

It may work better if you call your hotel directly and ask to speak to a concierge. Concierge can arrange and hold the tickets or reservations for you at Gion. If it's international type of hotels, there should be conceirge services and should be able to speak English or other foreign languages, if not they will find one. And if they still have problem communicating (managers are usually english speaking), they will instruct you to write a letter/fax/email or etc...

As last poster mentioned...
Last time we went, our reservation was held thru the hotel (conceirge), we made a request after arrival in Japan.
At the hotel, we were provided with a document (small piece of paper) with our names on it etc for the show, we were instructed to show the paper at the ticket booth at the theater to receive and pay for tickets, we paid cash.
With our experiences, you can make reservation once you've arrived in japan or Kyoto but it's good idea to make reservations if you want to feel secure and have a peace of mind. This is increasingly a popular show.
I haven't yet found a hotel which will have tickets, probably to prevent counterfeits. But there is no problem making reservations for you.

by cc rate this post as useful

Ok... 2008/3/4 05:58
I have encountered a slight problem.

I attempted to call the theater directly to order my tickets, but when I got through, there was a recording that said something very quickly and then it hung up on me. I have no idea what it said.

I'm unable to fax my order for several reasons, and I'm not going to go into them here. This is really frustrating, has anyone else called this theater? Do you know what the recording is saying? I think I might have called when it was closed.

- 2008/3/4 06:12
Nevermind about not being able to fax, I might be able to after all. I'll see if that works.

This is really frustrating.

problems 2008/3/4 07:42
I contacted my hotel about this in January and I eventually had a response saying that this would be no problem but to wait until March. However when I emailed again on 2 March the concierge responded saying they could not make the reservation for us, as they do not accept them through telephone or email and suggested we get in touch with the ticket office.

This is really annoying, as I would have done this two months ago and now I run the risk of not getting any tickets at all.

I am thinking of faxing ASAP, what information is needed on the fax other than names of people wishing to attend, dates and ticket class desired? I am really nervous something will go wrong here too!
by Emx rate this post as useful

miyako odori 2008/3/4 07:50
I have been in touch with our hotel and they say no tickets are available on the only day we are able to go. There are apparently same-day tickets at the theatre, but you have to go there by 10 a.m. We are on another tour then, so I guess it means no Miyako Odori for us. What does anyone know about the Gion Corner geisha show? Does one need to reserve in advance for that?
by Claudette rate this post as useful

>:( 2008/3/5 03:42
This is really quite frustrating. And I still can't get through to the theater. All I get is that stupid recording that hangs up on me.

Doesn't anyone know more about this?

Hooray! 2008/3/6 03:25
Got my tickets. I had to actually CALL the theater last night to do so, but I have them.

At this point I advise against faxing for tickets. If there are none left for the show you want, you just won't get a reservation and there isn't any way for them to tell you. Calling is going to be the best option because you will be able to speak to someone.

Also, call when the theater is open. I think it closes sometime between 4 and 5.

Language? 2008/3/10 13:00
Hi, may I know when you call to make reservations for the tickets? Can I converse in English? Cause I can't speak Japanese. Thanks.
by Anxius rate this post as useful

Re: Anxius 2008/3/11 02:15
I called in the evening, EST. I believe it was sometime in the afternoon in Kyoto. I was working under the assumption that the theater closed between 4pm and 5pm. If you're going to call, take into account that we just hit daylight savings time over here, and they don't use that system.

There were English-speaking associates at the theater, so you shouldn't have much trouble. Just speak slowly and clearly. They will ask you what date, performance and level of ticket you want. Also be sure to tell them your first and last name. Good luck. :)

Better book early. 2008/3/11 11:58
The show seems to be extremely popular and gets sold out very quickly. You better call early to reserve your seats.

I've just asked a friend in Japan to help reserve three seats for the show on April 11. It turned out that the 3.30 p.m. show on that day has already been sold out. (And we were actually making reservation one month in advance!) We had no choice but to attend the 16.50 show instead.
by Trakarn rate this post as useful

Thanks, 2008/3/11 12:31
Thanks Kay and Trankarn for the info.

I may be catching the show on 1 April. So it seems like the chances of getting the tickets are very slim.
by Anxius rate this post as useful

reply to this thread