Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

artichokes! 2008/1/17 00:21
My friend is coming to visit me from America (i'm in Tokyo now) and I've been dying for some artichokes. Not the hearts in a can/jar, but the real ones you boil.

Problem is, I'm not sure if she can bring it because of Japan's customs. Since it's a vegetable, will they let her bring it? How should she go about filling out the customs sheet? If she bought an artichoke or two that's been packaged in plastic/Styrofoam, would that allow it through? Also, if she is capable of bringing in this vegetable, what is the limit of how many she can bring with her?

Thanks guys. She'll be here on the 26th.
by Miyuki  

customs regulations 2008/1/17 08:26
This is what the Japan National Tourist Board says is illegal to bring in: "certain fresh fruits, vegetables, plants or animals that are outlawed by the Plant Quarantine Law and the Domestic Animal Infectious Disease Control Law."

Whether artichokes come under this law I don't know, but the displays at the airport seem to suggest that most fruit and veges are not allowed.

Perhaps your friend can contact the nearest Japanese Embassy or Consulate and ask.

by Sira rate this post as useful

mmmmmmm....... 2008/1/17 12:22
...mmmmm ARTICHOKES UMAI! i want some.
by Arti-Watsonville rate this post as useful

. 2008/1/17 22:48
to Arti... haha

I WANT SOME TOOOO!!!!

to Sira: Thanks for the suggestion. I think I'll call the embassy for her.
by Miyuki rate this post as useful

reply to this thread