Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Visiting Nara Deer Park on 9 Feb 08 2008/1/18 17:10
Do the deers still roaming freely in winter? 4 year lod son would love to feed them. Thank you
by Jean Tay  

Yes! 2008/1/18 22:24
You can feed them anytime except in the nights:)
by Kyoko rate this post as useful

I went there last week 2008/1/18 23:17
Last week I went to Nara. Many deer were roaming as in summer. The mating season had been over. They seemed to be ordinary mode.
And I saw some white children feed deer. But those children seem 7 or 8 years old. Your son is very young. I think you need some care.
However I suppose it is big fun for children to feed deer. I want that you and your son will have a nice day.

I suppose this video filmed in winter. (In winter antlers are cut.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=on-iVGa48Go

This would seldom happen. (I havenft heard someone had been injured heavily, but you need care.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvA1Lw4jkQ8
by jtomi in Osaka rate this post as useful

Deer Park 2008/1/19 00:33
Many thanks to you helpful people out there!
by Jean Tay rate this post as useful

lots of deer! 2008/1/19 12:25
I was in Nara over the New Year. There were lots and lots of deer roaming around. They appear to be very tame (I fed a few myself), although the larger (older) deer can be a little aggressive - mostly by nudging you to get the deer treats from you, or trying to get in your jacket pockets, or pulling on bags you may be holding. I think your 4 year old will love them. Just use a little caution as they can tend to crowd you if they know you have food, but I'm sure you will be fine. Enjoy! Nara is wonderful. I loved it.
by Karen rate this post as useful

Nara 2008/1/19 17:37
at first I wouldn't let a 4 years old feed a deer, especially a big one. feed it yourself and see how your kid react. it is a bit like petting a big strange dog you don't know. they aren't all 100% passive..and don't leave a JR PASS or any important paper in a jacket or pant pocket (even if it is wrapped in a plastic bag)as they are quick to grab anything sticking out of your pocket and swallow it. Damaged or lost JR passes don't get replaced.
by Sensei 2 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread