Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Climbing Mt. Fuji in Early June 2008/1/19 01:27
It seems I am in Japan the end of may and early june and one of the things i want to do is climb to the summit of mt. Fuji.

My question is :
Is this do-able in one day ?
and what kind of weather is it during that period ?
can anyone tell me more about this ????

thnx ..
by Martijn  

Fuji 2008/1/19 17:42
Please enter your question in the search function (the little window right above the whole list of questions on the forum Main page). You will get pages and pages of answers to questions similar to yours.
by Sensei 2 rate this post as useful

... 2008/1/19 20:00
Mount Fuji is often snow covered until mid June or even late June. While there is snow on the summit, it is very dangerous to climb to the top. You will need proper equipment and experience for snow/ice climbing. If the snow has gone, then the hike should be doable, but it is still off-season, meaning that there is no drink/food/warmth supply on the mountain and access to the 5th Station by public transportation is sparse.

Is this do-able in one day ?

Some extreme people do it in one day. Most people do it in two days:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6901.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

. 2008/1/19 21:26
I climbed it in the middle of june before the
climbing season it was still some snow at the summit and very cold at night.
you need wind/water proof cloths cause the wind chill factor up there is quite high.
I got up to the last station abit faster than expected so I had to wait there 1.5h before going to
the top in time for the sunrise. I had thermal underwear, insulated top, Gore-tex shell,
wintermittens and insulated boots and still got cold.
Donft take these things lightly. Im tired in seeing city people going up to Swedens highest
peak in sneakers, jeans and t-shirts with no supporting cloths at all just cause itfs a gfine sunny dayh.
Only to be caught in a blizzard and get carried down half frozen to death by a rescue helicopter.
Thank god that there is telephone coverage up there or we would have many fatalities every year.
Mt fuji is about 1000m higher.
If you arnt an experienced hiker/climber I wouldnft recommend going up there outside the climbing season. The station huts wont be open so you have to carry everything with you. I had 5l water with me and it was barely enough.
If you get in trouble there will not be anyone there to help you, I didnft se a single soul on my
way up and was the only one at the summit at the sunrise.
there is also the problem with transportation.
i say its imposs to do the climb in one day that time of year if your not planning to take a cab down in the evening/night.
Here is 2007 timetable:
http://www17.plala.or.jp/climb_fujiyama/Bus%20Timetable.html...

first bus up arrived 5th station 1030 and last down 1330 so its abit tight to make.

i went up with the last buss arriving 1230 and then had to wait to around 2000 before starting the climb. after the sunrise i went down and took the 1130 buss down from 5th station.
so i would say it takes 2days
by Fluppo rate this post as useful

5th Station in May 2008/1/20 05:07
If the snow has gone, then the hike should be doable, but it is still off-season, meaning that there is no drink/food/warmth supply on the mountain and access to the 5th Station by public transportation is sparse.

I will be staying in Kawaguchiko for 3 nights in mid may, Am I right by reading the above statement that buses to the 5th station are also out of season that time of year.

I have no intention of climbing Fuji but did fancy a bus trip upto the 5th station one day.

If so, are there any other trips around the foot I could go on.
by marsatmach rate this post as useful

. 2008/1/20 06:42
I would like to stress the fact that many have said, it is still off season and climbing off season can be dangerous even for a seasoned climber.
by John rate this post as useful

... 2008/1/20 09:05
There is daily bus service from Kawaguchiko Station to the 5th Station in May and June, so, yes, it is possible to visit the 5th Station.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Bus to 5th station 2008/1/21 04:35
There is daily bus service from Kawaguchiko Station to the 5th Station in May and June, so, yes, it is possible to visit the 5th Station.

Thanks Uji

I also did a search last and found out that a regular service to the 5th station starts at the end of April.
by marsatmach rate this post as useful

Fuji Climb 2008/1/21 10:28
I climbed Fuji in July and it was a fine climb and a lot of fun but a little tough. We did some research pripr to this climb and decided to wait until the climbing season. My recommendation DO NOT climb this mountain out of season unless you are a very experienced climber and this is your focus and not a casual side trip. Ran into a Marine who was stationed at Fuji Camp. Told me that his unit was not allowed to climb fuji as there was a person killed in the attempt.
So be advised you can die on this mountain if you are not very experienced and have all of the proper equipment. Fuji san can be enjoyed without having to reach the summmit. If you have any medical conditions I would pass on it. Good Luck and be careful.
by peter rate this post as useful

reply to this thread