Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

buy rice cooker in Japan for use in Aus? 2008/1/19 20:21
I am travelling to Japan later this year. Can I buy a rice cooker while I am there that will work in Australia? Will it need an adaptor plug for it to plug in here in Aus?
by Kay  

Export models 2008/1/19 23:04
I'm sure you can, more likely at electronic places with copious stock, ask for Australia compatible models. A group of grannies who live down my street each purchased one for their household. They're alot cuter and cheaper in Japan compared to Australia as well. They models they bought retailed around $300AUD purchased over there for $100AUD
by Olin rate this post as useful

Thanks Olin 2008/1/20 08:48
Thanks for your advice! Did your friends need special connections for the electrical plug on the cooker back in Australia?
by Kay rate this post as useful

Why not buy in Australia? 2008/1/20 16:24
Kay, is there any reason you can't just get one from the many Asian and Japanese supermarkets here in Australia?

Most sell the rice cookers ready to go! And at very cheap prices.
by pixelkitty rate this post as useful

... 2008/1/21 03:27
Or you can even check university boards, there are always international students moving and selling their rice cookers for around $10
by Olin rate this post as useful

Voltage 2008/1/21 11:06
Isnt Japan on 110v where as Australia is on 240v unless the unit has a powersupply?
by Dan rate this post as useful

LAOX 2008/1/21 12:38
You can get export rice cookers in Laox at Akihabara.

Make sure it's 220-240V, and you will most probably need a plug adaptor, as they will usually have a European style plug on them.

You can buy rice cookers in Australia, but to tell you the truth, they don't cook rice nearly as nicely as the one you get in Japan.
Plus the Japanese ones have all sorts of modes for different styles of rice.
by Sandy rate this post as useful

buy rice cooker in Japan for use in Aus? 2008/1/28 17:12
I have just got home from shopping and I have ordered a rice cooker (Tiger brand) for use in Aus (adaptor is already Australian). So yes, it is possible to find one. They don't usually display it in the shop, big stores don't usually sell them, you have to go to small shops that specialize electronics for foreigners. Ask the sales staff and he will order it for you.
by Leanne rate this post as useful

try this! 2008/1/28 19:30
I just got back from Japan last week. I wanted to buy a snazzy rice-cooker but the store we were in was sold out of models which were correct for Australian voltage. You need a very big transformer to run an ordinary Japanese rice cooker here.
However, at Narita airport I noticed rice cookers for sale in the duty free shops at the departure area....I'm sure they would have ones with correct voltage for us, but didn't have time to check.
by Lynda rate this post as useful

reply to this thread