Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Is this a Geshia? 2008/1/22 07:53
Hi, My grandmother gave me this old pin and because of the lower clothes which look like short pants, we are not sure if this is a Japanese Geshia. If not, what do you think it is. Any information would be appreciated, thank you ...
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r196/ibovnu/Jan2008/brooc...
by ibovnu  

Reply 2008/1/22 10:18
Hi. I am an antiques dealer in USA and lived in Japan for three years. I am familiar with anatiques and orientialia. This peice does not depict a geisha except for the hair-style that is somewhat "geisha like" yet cannot be seen from the back which is important. The peice wears geta which is Japanese yet is not rare in other asian countries. The telling part of this peice is the kimono, which is not there. the pants are split as in a style that would suggest more Korean than anything. Given this you might appreciate that a figure of a woman in Kimono could be either a geisha or not. Especially with the inexact detail in this peice. My opinion, Not Japanese and not a geisha.
by Peter rate this post as useful

. 2008/1/22 16:07
The costume does not look like kimono at all.
It looks like Chinese costume but I'm not sure of what era, and not sure how accurate it is either.
To me it looks to be a work out of imagination by an artist or a craftman from a western country who does not really know the difference between Japanese/Chinese/Korean etc.
by Japanese woman rate this post as useful

probably western made 2008/1/22 20:50
I agree- it seems to be a mixture of a Chinese costume with a Japanese hairstyle so I would say it was made in the west by an artisan without much knowledge of either culture.
by Sira rate this post as useful

Could be ... 2008/1/22 21:09
... a Japanese-crafted depiction of a Chinese woman. It is too crude to be a "high art" Japanese piece, but only a fraction of Japanese jewellery is fine. The bulk is folkloric, but with a fine sense.

At the same time this is a bit too fine for the usual limitations of Chinese or SE Asian figurative representation, which are rarely done with finesse.

I am going with Japanese in origin, for a relatively undiscriminating (or foreign) clientele.

Sorry if my language seems a bit harsh. I don't mean it to be.
by Ian rate this post as useful

Additional comment. 2008/1/23 00:01
Agree with Ian. Most likely Japanese made for export. Age is problematic but my best guess would be Meji era prehaps 1910-20. What did your grandmother tell you about its history and are there any marks or symbols on the back side? probably not or you would have mentioned it.
by Peter rate this post as useful

One more thing 2008/1/23 04:08
Regarding the pearl. It is probably real but there is a simle way to test it. Take the pearl and gently rub it on your teeth as if you were gently biting on it. A real pearl should feel slightly gritty as if there was fine sand in it. A fake pearl will feel slippery and not have any grittyness when you rub it on your teeth
by peter rate this post as useful

Makers Mark 2008/1/23 07:58
Yes, it does have a makers mark ... Lang Sterling ...the other side is hollow so you can't see the back of the hairstyle or clothes. Thank you all for your information, I am so very impressed with all your knowledge. (makers mark link) http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r196/ibovnu/Jan2008/brooc...
by Ibovnu rate this post as useful

Lang Sterling 2008/1/24 21:43
The Lang Jewerly Company, of Providence RI. began creating jewelry in April 1946. The piece is therefor the work a not so cultured American. It is made to be Chinese or Korean. My wife who is Japanese says, there is no way it is Japanese because the outfit looks Chinese, and the hair partly looks Korean.
by MarineUSMC rate this post as useful

Grammer correction 2008/1/24 21:47
*This piece is therefor the work of an uncultured American.*
by MarineUSMC rate this post as useful

Okuni? 2008/1/24 22:11
That statue reminds me of Izumo no Okuni...
by Toeda rate this post as useful

reply to this thread