Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Becoming a singer/entertainer in Japan 2008/1/24 20:07
I am a 17 year old girl from Australia and want to be a singer/entertainer in Japan.
I have started learning Japanese which clearly would be the first step to do anything over there.

But I am wondering if anyone knows any agentcies in Japan that take on gajin?

Or if anyone knows any other information that could be useful?

I have realised that to achieve my dream it will be very hard and take alot of work, but this is only a small price to pay.

Hope to hear from you.
:3
by Nana Hoshi  

AGAIN?!!! 2008/1/28 16:28
Wow, yet ANOTHER person on the same boat as me...well, sort of. It's funny just how many people want to become musicians in Japan. I'm not different, because I am currently pursuing the same dream, but even still, it is annoying. So many people talk the talk and claim that they'll do 'whatever it takes', but in the end, they never walk the walk, because they get too many responsibilities that weigh them down, and eventually, they get torn away. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not putting you down because if I was, then I'd be putting myself down too. I'm Japanese-American, but just recently, I had recieved an invite by Toshiba-EMI records in Japan to attend a small tour line-up with other Japanese artists. I'm scheduled to leave in late 2008. If I do good, they'll sign me. I play metal, however, I assume you will be pursuing a pop career. What's great about playing metal and trying to pursue a career is that not as many people are trying. Almost all the people that want to be Japanese musicians are women who want to sing J-POP. That in itself is a very bad weight. Because of already immense competition, it's going to be hard. A lot of native women want to be singers too, and trust me, they have the upper hand. Why would they choose you when they can just take from one of their own? You need to think about that. You need to think, "Okay, what can I offer that is unique and sellable, that a native cannot?" As much to a musician's dismay, the music business is a marketing industry, which markets human beings. You will be selling yourself as well as your music. You need to realize that. You also need to know that in the beginning, you may have to sellout and do whatever they tell you, otherwise, they won't sign you. It's wrong, and it's a pain, but the fact is, is that, to the record companies, it's only about money. They could give a sh*t less about you and your feelings and musical integrity. They hired you so you can make them money, and if you're not going to make them any, then why should they employ you? Also, know that musician's pay is meager. You're not going to be living like a king. You're going to be living amongst the rest. All that fancy glamour you see in those pictures are all paid for by the record companies, and if they gave it to you, they can just as quickly take it away from you. If you know Eiji Wentz (of WaT), he lives in a 1 bedroom apartment amongst other "normal people". His next door neighbor is a government worker. The compensation plan for musicians is good for underground artists, but for popular artists, who sell a lot, it's a bad deal, because they're getting the same pay as people who don't sell as much. You have to be dedicated, and you have to want and appreciate the non-profit rewards (such as making people happy, inspiring new artists, being loved by your idols, etc.) more than money, because financially speaking, you're not going to be getting much. Anyways, I've also noticed a lot of J-POP wannabe's come from Australia, just like you, but a lot from America as well. Well, here's my advice that has actually helped me, and my friend who was signed into Avex-Trax (Ayumi Hamasaki's record label) just last year, and is slowly getting more and more popular in Japan.

Contrary to what many people will tell you, it's actually better worry in this order;

1) WORRY ABOUT DIPLOMATICS AND IMMIGRATION!! This is by far THE MOST IMPORTANT aspect that you will ever encouter should you pursue your music career in Japan. If they don't like you at immigration, you're going home, end of story. Do lots and lots of research on immigration and your legal alien rights before ANYTHING. This is more important and dire than trying to actually become a musician. Visas will fall under this category. Do lots of homework on visas. They're the pain in the ass that will ultimately bring you down.

2) Worry about money. If you have no money, then you will not make it anywhere. Make sure you have plenty of money to use on rent, food, utilities, music equiptment (depending on your genre)

3) Worry about were you will live! If you have no where to live, then how will you survive? You need a place to stay, so do research on that too.

4) Worry about income stream. This relates to #2. I assume that you're not rich, so naturally, you're going to need a stream of income while you're in Japan. Unless you can have your parents give you money, or continually borrow money from the bank (highly NOT reccomended), you're going to need a part-time job to bring you in some money. Your biggest worry will be rent, then music equiptment (again, depending if you use them [like guitars, drums, etc.]), food, cell phone (yes, you WILL need a cellphone in Japan), etc.

5) NOW you can worry about being a musician. In fact, don't even do much research on it. You don't even have to even worry about it too much. The fact is, is that they don't care if you have a music major or some sh*t, they want you to sell, and that's all they care about. Make a Japanese Myspace and post up your stuff. You do, of course, have to learn Japanese before you do. If you DO play a form of rock or metal, then play clubs or do street performances. Make demos and EPs in your home country (or Japan if you feel comfortable/confident with negotiating with them) and hand them out (yes, hand them out for free. no one's going to buy music from an artist they don't know) in front of music stores. Build a strong fanbase, and maybe one day, you'll have a fan that knows someone in the business, and they'll reccomend you. Next thing you know, you might be signed.

Look, the matter is, is don't worry too much about actually being a musician. It's actually not super hard. My friend is an example that it isn't too hard to get signed. It's a quaddrillion times harder actually living and staying in Japan, than pursing the career. So stop worring about WORKING in Japan, and concentrate more on COMING, LIVING, and STAYING in Japan, since that matters more. What's the point in working if you can't stay? I hope this answered your question, and gave you the reality of it all, because I would hate for you to be signed, and then you end up unhappy because of bad blood in the company. Remember, expect the worse, so then that way, you won't be unhappy or disappointed when it happens.

Best of Luck!!!
Haku
by Haku rate this post as useful

reply to this thread