Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Comments on Tokyo itinerary 2008/1/28 02:30
I'm going to be in Tokyo for 11 days next month. I'm staying in Nakano district. I planned my itinerary based on my own research as to what places are good to visit on what days. I'd appreciate any suggestions / comments / revisions. Thanks in advance!

Sat. Feb. 16 - Nakano, Koenji, Asagaya Districts

Sun. Feb. 17 - Koshikawa Korakuen Gardens & Akihabara (I read that the main street in Akiba is closed to motor vehicle traffic on Sundays)

Mon. Feb. 18 - Rikugien Gardens & Ikebukuro District

Tues. Feb. 19 - Imperial Palace & East Gardens (tour already booked) & Shinjuku District

Wed. Feb. 20 - Tsukiji Fish Market & Odaiba

Thurs. Feb. 21 - Day trip to Yokohama

Fri. Feb. 22 - Asakusa District

Sat. Feb. 23 - open

Sun. Feb. 24 - Shibuya & Harajuku

Mon. Feb. 25 - Mt. Fuji day trip

Tues. Feb. 26 - second visit to Tsukiji and last minute shopping (depart next day)
by Palidor  

tsukiji 2008/1/28 13:36
You may want to do Tsukiji on your first day if you are jetlagged. If you are like I was, I was up by 4 a.m. Japan time anyway. The only problem is the ferries to Odaiba don't run until 10 a.m. on Saturdays and if you get to Odaiba in the morning after Tsukiji nothing is open until after 10 anyway. So don't be in a hurry to get to Odaiba. Hang out at Tsukiji and the neighborhoods thereabout until at least 10.
by acase rate this post as useful

thanks 2008/1/28 20:10
Thanks, acase. I'm definitely going to take my time in Tsukiji and eat tons of food! =) I plan to head to Tsukishima and have lunch there. I want to stay in Odaiba pretty late so I can see the Rainbow bridge lit up, so I won't be going there before lunch.
by Palidor rate this post as useful

Open day 2008/1/28 20:41
On your open day you can go to Akihabara if you like electronics and shopping frenzy, or you can make a day trip to Nikko or Kamakura. If you have some time to waste between Tsukiji and Odaiba ILd rather go to Ginza ad hang around; since market activity is not very interesting from 11am
by Aerond rate this post as useful

Tokyo 2008/1/29 04:49
I notice that everyday you visit 2 neighbourhoods and one day you visit Asakusa only. Most of the neighbourhoods, while they have their own character, are similar in the sense that around the JR station you have department stores, office buildings, bars and restaurants. it doesn't take that long to check each place either. What I usually do,in Tokyo as in many big towns, is to see 3-4 neighbourhoods in a day just to get the flavour then later on in the trip I come back to a couple of neighbourhoods I like the most. Asakusa is a bit different but even there, after visiting Senso-ji and the maze of little streets towards Ueno that's it. can't remember if you have Ueno on your itnerary. This is an interesting place. The park, museums, the Tokugawa shrine, but also the Ameyokocho market under the elevated railway tracks. you can walk to Ueno from Asakusa in 30 min. tops though I like to zig-zag along side streets at random to check out houses and small businesses to get a true flavour of the area.
by Red Frog rate this post as useful

Yanaka, Tsukiji, etc. 2008/1/29 06:25
I have to agree with Red Frog. The really cool experiences are those when you are a bit out of the way, walking between places or when you get lost. Near Ueno are some really cool areas best accessed on foot. Check out Yanaka and the areas around it for instance. http://www.2think.org/japan-hotels.shtml

Also, before you go to Tsukiji, read the top book on this page: http://www.2think.org/japan.shtml
by acase rate this post as useful

thanks for all the ideas 2008/1/30 19:51
I think I will go to Ueno after Asakusa. I wasn't sure how long it would take me there, since it seemed like there were a lot of things to see there (besides the temple, there's also the pagoda and other things).

And I am planning to walk a lot, instead of taking the subway or rail. You get to see so much more stuff that way. :)

Couple days 2008/1/30 20:51
The 23rd hit up Kamakura for a day trip.

Mt Fuji day trip.. Go to Hakone you can see good views of it there.

About Odiaba, you will want to be there during the afternoon to sundown (best sunset in Tokyo I think.

Also look into a riverboat cruise..I think its one of the ways to see a different side of Tokyo. Maybe do that the first day and then see Asakusa after or before....
by MarineUSMC rate this post as useful

Mt. Fuji 2008/2/1 20:33
MarineUSMC, could you elaborate on Hakone? I was planning on taking the Fuji Gogome bus from Kawagutiko station and going directly to Mt. Fuji (at least I understand the bus goes directly there). Are you saying it would be better to see Mt. Fuji from a distance in Hakone?

Yes 2008/2/1 20:45
Quoted from this site: "The easiest way to view Mount Fuji is from the train on a trip along the Tokaido Line between Tokyo and Osaka. If you take the shinkansen from Tokyo in direction of Nagoya, Kyoto and Osaka, the best view of Mount Fuji can be enjoyed from around Shin-Fuji Station on the right hand side of the train, about 40 to 45 minutes after leaving Tokyo.

Note however, that clouds and poor visibility often block the view of Mount Fuji, and you have to consider yourself lucky if you get a clear view of the mountain. Visibility tends to be better during the colder seasons of the year than in summer, and in the early morning and late evening hours.

If you want to enjoy Mount Fuji at a more leisurely pace and from a nice natural surrounding, you should head to the Fuji Five Lake (Fujigoko) region at the northern foot of the mountain, or to Hakone, a nearby hot spring resort. "

I would recommend Hakone (by train) because you can relax at the end of your trip in a hot spring, see the Fuji from there. (Up close is really not that great because you cant really see how big it REALLY IS). You can also take a cruise on one of the lakes on a old style boat (neat). Or you could head to the Izu Peninsula and see it from there along with a VERY gorgeous hot spring, a bike ride and seaside views of Mt Fuji.....Anything else you want me to elaborate on?

thanks again! 2008/2/2 04:53
Thanks, MarineUSMC. And yes, one more question, please. :) Do you think the Edo-Tokyo museum is worth a visit? I was thinking of visiting there on my free Saturday, although now you've got me leaning toward Kamakura.

Mt. Fji - Hakone 2008/2/2 14:18
Hakone is a good place to see Mt. Fji. I was there last March and I enjoyed it so much. The surrounding is peaceful and you can find lots of culture stuffs.
by Lindalo rate this post as useful

Kamakura 2008/2/2 15:52
Kamakura is highly recommended. You can see some really neat architecture there, and there is a lot to see in such a small area.
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2166.html
The first couple things are a must see!In my opinion at least!!

Well then... 2008/2/2 22:04
... Hakone and Kamakura it is! Thanks for everybody's input (and if anyone has any other suggestions, please post them). I'm so glad I found this site and forum before I left.

reply to this thread