Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Php-yen exchange in tokyo, where? 2008/1/28 11:16
Im hoping someone here can help.
A friend is currently in tokyo, she was not able to exchange her Philippine Pesos to US Dollars in the airport and is now having a hard time finding a place that will exchange her Peso to Yen since they prefer US Dollars for exchange only. Is there a place and what type of places in Tokyo, will be willing to accept Philippine Peso to convert to Japanese Yen? Please reply asap.
by snookie  

Bank 2008/1/28 12:20
Try a bigger bank, Citi Bank probably will. I find it hard to believe that the airport won't.
by MarineUSMC rate this post as useful

Travelex 2008/1/28 12:32
Travelex can change PHP to Yen. Where is she staying at?

There's one in Shinjuku, next to Odakyu HALC.
http://www.travelex.jp/shop/index.html
by JLady rate this post as useful

Reply 2008/1/28 12:55
No, the leader of her travel group refrained them from exchanging the Peso to Yen in the airport, saying that they can exchange it in Nagoya. Unfortunately, no place in Nagoya wanted to accept Philippine Peso only US Dollars. And she is currently roaming about with no Yen to use. I have just texted her about your suggestion to look for Citibank. And JLADY, I am still waiting for her reply where will be staying but at this moment, she texted me that she is currently on the Shinkansen Train.
by snookie rate this post as useful

The station 2008/1/28 16:11
If she speaks Japanese or even English, maybe she can go to the travel center located in the station. Look for the blue question mark and they should be able to direct her where to go. Most bigger banks will exchange money, also some larger hotels should be able to do so also (maybe no with the Pesos though I'm unsure about that currency though).

The travel leader probably should have said bring yen before coming. Since they didn't that can be a problem, oh well. The exchange rate the the Airport might be slightly higher so the travel leader said to wait so they can get a better rate (possibly).

... 2008/1/28 17:09
Even Mizuho Bank (one of the major banks in Japan) does not sell/buy pesos in their in-town foreign exchange centers unfortunately. You will find Travelex in town (ask at the hotel if you are in central Tokyo) helpful. There are counters in: Shinjuku, Shibuya, Roppongi, Akasaka, Hibiya, Shimbashi, Akihabara, inside Tokyo station, right close by Tokyo station, and at T-CAT as well as at Haneda airport.
by ... rate this post as useful

Sakura Akasaka 2008/1/28 17:14
She is currently in Sakura Akasaka, a hostel. Unfortunately, the faculty hasnt been very much help. She has gone around but the banks are closed at this hour already. She heard from the faculty that Travelex does not accept Philippine Peso exchange? Is that true? I cant understand the website provided JLady as I do not understand Japanese. I will try to text and suggest the station, hopefully all goes well. If you guys have any other ideas, please do post as I am worried about her current situation.
by snookie rate this post as useful

Hope she can make it 2008/1/28 17:35
Maybe she will have to wait until tomorrow as the banks are closed, those are probably her best bet. I'm still shocked that they did not bring any yen with them always be prepared.

Aus to JPY 2008/1/29 08:53
Hi All,

I'm just curious what's the best way to exchange currency in Japan?

Normally I would just go with the local bank rate in Aus but our local banks are quite conservative in their rates and we are bringing enough to make it with while paying attention to the exchange rate.

Do japanese banks change Australian Tender and if so what's the going rate ?
by Ghostsight rate this post as useful

... 2008/1/29 09:07
snookie,

Is she in "Asakusa" Sakura hostel or "Akasaka"? (I think it must be Asakusa, if it's Sakura.)

If she is in Asakusa, go to Travelex in Akihabara, that would be the closest location for her, and this shop does deal in 31 currencies including Philippine Pesos. From Akihabara station, find Yodobashi camera, and it's right next to it. They are open 10:00 - 20:00.
by ... rate this post as useful

reply to this thread