Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

I'm allergic to soy... will I starve? 2008/1/30 03:18
I am alleric to soy. Small amounts are tolerable but in any significant quantity, its not pretty.
I am traveling to Tokyo for 2 days and then on to Niigata for 8 days. The trip is for business and they have already scheduled all of my eating engagemtents for me. I'm told that we will likely be dining in traditional Japanese restaurants.
What should I do? Any advice will me helpful. Thanks!
by Tiffany  

You're ok 2008/1/30 14:40
White rice is not served with soy sauce, you can therefor eat it. Curry very popular here even in Japanese places. Fish is also popular. Stay away from little blocks or cubes with a off-white color as they are Tofu. Veggies are also very popular. If you get soup make sure it's not Miso or Soy base, maybe a Kimichi base. You'll be ok, just let the people know that you have an allergy to it.
by MarineUSMC rate this post as useful

. 2008/1/30 16:24
Most Japanese dishes are seasoned either with soy sauce or miso paste - both soy products.
(Even though curry rice is very popular here, I don't think business people will treat you with curry - it's like offering hotdogs when you are entertaining important guest from abroad.)

It's difficult how much is small amount for you and how much isn't, so my recommendation is to let them know in advance that you're allergic against soy and need to avoid dishes using soy sauce, miso, and tofu if possible.

Then people might bring you to western style restaurants.
You may not have a chance to try something Japanese but at least you do not have to worry about being starved...
by . rate this post as useful

HAHA 2008/1/30 16:50
Yeah maybe you're right about the Curry, but it is still good a lot better than hot dogs. I agree though depending on the place you go it might not be offered to business people. As we both stated already just let them know in advance of your allergies and carry allergy medication with you.
You can always ask if it has soy in it by saying...
"Kononaka ni daizu haittemasuka?"
by MarineUSMC rate this post as useful

notify in advance and you will survive 2008/1/30 20:15
Tiffany, until very recently, soy was one of the top 3 allergens in Japan, and people survive.

First of all, tell your host about your allergy. Tell them you can take a little, but not too many and encourage them to notify the restaurants in advance. The restaurants will know what to do.

Most Japanese cuisine dishes as well as Chinese cuisine dishes that locals often enjoy contain at least a small amount of soy sauce, but it's very easy to arrange sumashi-jiru (clear Japanese soup) instead of miso soup and to avoid big lumps of soy products.

Bon appetite!
by Uco, mom of an egg allergy kid rate this post as useful

Damn you 2008/5/16 07:00
You just put me in the mood for a curry, thanks a lot, Now i have to go off and use my mini telescopic chop sticks....hehe
by 8thsinner rate this post as useful

reply to this thread