Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kitto 2008/2/1 04:54
I know きっと means surely, indefinitely, etc... but I've also noticed in some cases きっと can mean "maybe"? So how do you know whether it should mean "surely" or "maybe" @_@?
by chibiookamichan  

... 2008/2/1 13:14
Can you give us an example, how was kitto used in a sentence where you thought it could mean 'maybe'?

Tabun-- maybe

Kitto-- certainly
*kitto is like kanarazu (as in 'most certainly', sure.
by cc rate this post as useful

uncertain but assuming 2008/2/1 15:19
"kitto" is used when something is not absolutely certain, but you are assuming something.

So depending on "how much" you assume this something, the translation will differ. For example...

"Kitto katsu!"
I'm sure I'll win! (It is not certain that I will win, but I wish to keep my hopes high.)

"Kitto konai ne."
Maybe he won't come. (It is not certain whether he is coming or not, but unfortunately, it is likely that he will not.)
by Uco rate this post as useful

... 2008/2/2 05:50
"Kitto konai ne"

tanspire into "Most likely won't come."

*kitto is stern sure, certainly.

Just to add 2008/2/2 12:38
The slight difficulty with the word "kitto" is that it is often used to show the *intention* or *hope* of the one who is using it - in that sense it is a somewhat _subjective_ word. So you cannot really line up the words like: definitely (100%) - probably (80%) - likely (60%) - perhaps (40%) - maybe (??), in degrees of likelihood. In that sense, it is like "I expect..." or "I assume...." like Uco-san said.

When you say:
- Kitto katsu!
...this expresses "I'm definitely going to win!" "I'll make it happen and win!" and it expresses determination.

If you say about a friend who everyone is not sure is going to show up or not,
- Kitto konai yo.
... it expresses your pessimism, or your resignation, that this person is not going to come, so it's like "My expectations are that he won't come," "Maybe he won't come."
by AK rate this post as useful

..... 2008/2/3 02:08
-----... it expresses your pessimism, or your resignation, that this person is not going to come, so it's like "My expectations are that he won't come," "Maybe he won't come."-------

So it's "most likely he won't show?"

reply to this thread