Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 23

1 2
next

Is first class worth it? 2008/2/1 19:54
Is it worth the extra $100 to be in first class with the Japan Rail Pass?
by Aaron  

... 2008/2/1 21:57
If you like to pay more for a little bit more luxury, yes. Otherwise, no.
by Uji rate this post as useful

honestly not really 2008/2/1 22:07
Do you have the money to blow 100 bucks on a train that youre going to be on for a couple hours tops? the seats are fine in regular plus you can get up and walk around any time....who cares...if money was no object then sure...but if you would still pick up 100 bucks on the street if you saw it then why waste your time..or money lol...the first class is nicer though obviously lol
by MarineUSMC rate this post as useful

.. 2008/2/2 01:51
Is there any difference between green and ordinary classes apart from the seats?
by aerond rate this post as useful

. 2008/2/2 04:18
Here's the description of the difference between green and ordinary seats on the JR website:
http://www.japanrail.com/JR_trainandseattypes.html

Personally I don't think it's worth it. I'm quite short so regular seats are roomy enough. Also, not all trains have green cars, so it depends on your route.
by Keitm rate this post as useful

regular is ok 2008/2/2 09:19
Hello, I just came back fom Japan, I have some overweight and traveled in the normal cars in the trains, they were really confortable, dont know the difference with green cars but the normal is great
by txema rate this post as useful

... 2008/2/2 12:00
I have used the original JR for 3 trips to Japan and was very comfortable. But for my last trip I tried the Green one. It was a bit more but I will surely get Green JR for my coming trip in March and September. The Green car of Superview xq train is superb. It is a personal choice.
by lester rate this post as useful

... 2008/2/2 12:17
Once you go green, it is difficult to return to ordinary :(

... 2008/2/2 12:32
Uji,

You are most right. Aside from the comfort, I have also encountered the ordinary was fully booked and luckily I got the Green one.
by lester rate this post as useful

depends on what you want 2008/2/2 16:03
Here are some of the good things about the Green Car.

1) In the Shinkansen, they have foot rests. Quite handy when you feet are tired from touring.

2) In the Shinkansen, a train hostess will come to your seat to see if you need anything (such as refreshments and light meals) and if you do, they can get it for you while you sit and relax. Very handy when you are traveling with small children.

3) Even though anyone is free to pass by, Green Cars provide you a bit more privacy and is somewhat more quiet. For example, in the Tokaido Line trains which is a local commuter train line, the Green Car carriage has the light turned down, so you can relax much better.

So depending on your preference and situation, the Green Car is worth the price. There was a time when I, a local resident, used to enjoy the Green Car a lot, but lately my preference and situations have changed and I usually go for the ordinary seats.
by Uco rate this post as useful

P.S. 2008/2/2 16:06
I remembered one more thing. In the Shinkansen, a bilingual magazine issued by JR is provided for every seat in the Green Cars.
by Uco rate this post as useful

. 2008/2/2 17:13
2) In the Shinkansen, a train hostess will come to your seat to see if you need anything (such as refreshments and light meals) and if you do, they can get it for you while you sit and relax. Very handy when you are traveling with small children.

In the Reserved portion of the ordinary car on the Tokaido Shinkansen a sales lady comes with a cart, she sells food, hot coffee drinks, snacks etc, pretty much the same things. In the unreserved section they will come by if it isn't standing room.

Now of course there are dozens of green vs. ordinary topics already.

It depends on how much you value that extra money.

For me personally, I can find better things to do with the extra yen saved, I'm perfectly fine with the ordinary cars. They have ample leg room when compared to coach of an airplane. It is actually more leg room in the ordinary car then most US domestic first class seats. Certainly more then the domestic first class "Class J" on domestic JAL flights.

Also not all green cars are created equal. Some are not much different from ordinary cars, some are different, but it depends on the train.
by John rate this post as useful

Upgrading flight instead of train 2008/2/2 17:21
Having flown Premium Economy class recently on a long flight using my airmiles after having paid a little more on the ticket, I felt much better upon arrival and would prefer to spend my money on this again than on a Green JR pass.

I was sitting on quite a lot of airmiles and was never able to use them. When I phoned up the airline, they explained that the cheapest tickets don't allow upgrades with airmiles but that a slightly more expensive ticket did.

In all honesty I have to add to this that when travelling in Japan we spend most of the time in the deep countryside where only very small train ride a couple of times a day and maybe rely less on the shinkansen than most of you.
by Kappa rate this post as useful

more green car goodies 2008/2/2 17:36
Some shinkansen green cars also have an audio program to listen to with headphones like airplanes. And a heated seat. And electric outlets with every single seat.

Green cars or not? 2008/2/2 17:53
this post is a perfect example of DEJA VU! was it last year that we had a huge post about the pro & con of green cars? there was no consensus then and we are heading in the same direction now.. always interesting anyway..
by Sensei 2 rate this post as useful

Re: DEJA VU! 2008/2/2 18:31
More a déjà vu of a déjà vu of a déjà vu. I've been here since the late 1990's, I guess, and I have seen this discussion many times here and we never reached a conclusion.
For my self, since it is less than 50 more expensive for a Green JR one week pass, I would go for it. However, I usually go for a 2 week (myself) and a 3 week (my wife who wants to visit her friends all over Japan and usually leaves a week earlier) pass and in that case the price difference starts to make an impact that I prefer to spend that money on something else.
by Kappa rate this post as useful

What about for luggage 2008/2/4 10:19
I am gonna carry 2 suitcases with me, fairly bigiish ones

Is it worth geting the green so I know I will get room for luggage or doesnt it accomdate that ?
by Abhi rate this post as useful

. 2008/2/4 10:45
The luggage space on the green car of the Shinkansen is almost identical to that of the ordinary car.
by John rate this post as useful

You can not be serious 2008/2/4 10:55
about the luggage space, after I read the link on the 5th post which says that you get more room for luggage and your legs
by Abhi rate this post as useful

... 2008/2/4 11:11
You can not be serious

It is true. There is barely a difference in luggage space, although, the seats and foot space is larger, allowing you to place a bag more easily besides you onto the floor, unless there is a bothersome foot rest like on the new N700 green cars, which I personally found more bothersome than useful when I checked out the green car between Tokyo and Osaka the other day. On other train sets, the foot rests in green cars take less space.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 23

1 2
next

reply to this thread