Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

IPhone in Japan? 2008/2/2 01:06
My son is travelling to Japan in a few weeks. He has an iPhone, and AT&T has told us he will not have phone service. However, will the iPhone be able to access wireless internet there? Also, will Apple's standard plug in charger for the iPhone be able to be used in most hotels? Thank you...
by Ed  

Wifi 2008/2/2 11:20
Ed,

Free wifi hotspots are not that common in Japan. Some hotels provide free wifi, but that's about it. The wifi available at stations and McDonalds etc requires registration/subscription.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

Re: iPhone in Japan 2008/2/2 17:55
It is really baffling why Apple didn't add 3G functionality to a phone that is otherwise state-of-the-art. It is like a Porsche with a VW beetle motor :-)

The lack of 3G means indeed that he cannot use his phone to call from Japan or to receive calls, but if he finds a WiFi hotspot in a hotel, or so, he will be able to use it. But like Dave said, these hotspots are not common in Japan.
by Kappa rate this post as useful

nope 2008/2/21 19:46
iphone has no umts capability (weird, as practically every new phone you buy these days does have this), so it simply won't work in Japan
by jimmy rate this post as useful

iPhoine release date 2008/2/21 20:08
I heard that they will release the iPhone in Japan this fall? If i'm not mistaken... perhaps they'll set up a 3G function for Japan.
by Miyuki rate this post as useful

iPhone 2008/2/24 06:04
Ed, I went to Japan a few months ago with my iPhone, so I went through what he'll experience.

I encountered very few free wifi spots. I recall going to Starbucks in Japan and being shocked there was no wifi; I'm just so used to it here, I thought all Starbucks would provide it. I even saw some other Americans opening up their laptops at a Starbucks with the same idea, heh. I had to disappoint them by telling them there was no wifi.

About your other question, yes, the charger will work at the hotels.

I don't know if this will be useful, but here's a link for finding wifi spots:

http://www.jiwire.com/browse-hotspot-japan-jp.htm
by Paul H rate this post as useful

.. 2008/2/24 06:53
I'm not that surprised considering that most Japanese people including kids have phones with them, and most of the phones are already equipped with internet service and email. Finding free hotspots/wifi would be a little less.
by .. rate this post as useful

reply to this thread