Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

should i spend 2 or 3 weeks in Japan 2008/2/2 07:32
ok I need some serious answers as I want to go in mid oct

now I know I will visit tokyo and osaka and this is my first time

I will be 28 at the time, so I aint no spring chicken

now how lojg would you say in tokoyo and osake in total 7-8 days or longer.

I am taking a J-rail pass and I will want to visit Kyoto and other cultral places as opposed to the Neo Tokyo type areas

I will keep peps here updated with my stuff so this isnt gonna be a flash in the pan thread
by Abhi  

... 2008/2/2 09:11
These types of questions are very difficult to answer, because it completely depends on the individual. Some people can stay 3 weeks in Tokyo and still don't have enough, while others prefer not to spend a single day there.

So, I am afraid, the answer very much depends on your travel interests and your preferred travel pace.

To the average first time traveler with an interest in modern and traditional Japan, I recommend to spend at least 2 full days in Tokyo and Kyoto each. Beyond that, it is very difficult to give any specific recommendations without knowing more about your interests and travel style.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Japan 2008/2/2 17:07
please buy at least 1 or 2 guidebooks on Japan and read then very carefully several times, then red pencil all the places that you are interested in, obviously depending on your tastes, and go back and give them a ranking: # 1, #2, etc. and make a possible itinerary.
After all that check the tabs on this internet site: (travel, living, Japan A-Z etc.)and find out more info about the various places you chose and ranked. find out about train passes, hotels etc. once you have an itinerary we can give you some good ideas.
by Red Frog rate this post as useful

any particular books I should buy 2008/2/2 19:16
I live in England, so I will look in our stores here

I do love anime, video games and martial arts

but thats only part of the reason why I am going to Japan
by Abhi rate this post as useful

Completely depends on you 2008/2/2 21:05
Do you speak any Japanese and do you know anyone there? I've traveled to Japan twice already and it's not much of an experience unless you know someone, can speak the language, or you are that interested in the historic culture of the country, or into outdoor activities or specific events. You can do plenty of outdoor activities like hiking and skiing (in the winter) and visiting temples and landmarks and doing some shopping. Forget about experiencing some of the real modern activities like pachinko parlors or karaoke or drinking parties unless you know some Japanese people or can communicate and read the language. Communication in English is not as prevalent as some would make you believe, and some places and people will not take the time to help out a gaijin, even one that looks and acts like them (like me). When I say you need to have specific events to attend, you should plan to attend a festival or concert (if you like J-music) or some event that lets you experience Japanese culture. Otherwise you're just a tourist taking pictures. Hope this helps. Plan ahead and reserve hotels way in advance if you travel around national holidays or for certain popular events.
by Guest rate this post as useful

More things to see and do than time 2008/2/2 21:22
Hi Abhi

I spent 2 weeks in Japan on my first visit and it was nowhere near enough time.

Depending on your funds and motivations, you can easily fill up 3 weeks and still have a hundred things left to see an do.

Get the Lonely Planet Guide to Japan - it's invaluable!
by pixelkitty rate this post as useful

Thanks for answers 2008/2/3 06:41
Guest I dont know Japanese or anyone there

I will get a book to translate with me and

pixlekitty I was gonna purchase that book, the 2007 version.

This one
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Japan-Lonely-Planet-Country-Guide/dp...

Japan 2008/2/3 17:09
I did one trip to Japan on my own and when I travel with my Japanese friend I spend whole days alone and I LOVE any second I spend in Japan. I don't speak Japanese but manage to order food, buy stuff etc. I have been reading about Japan for many many years (before meeting my friend) I have done a lot of research about JAPAN on the internet as well. One doesn't have to be a culture expert to love Japan any more that one has to be a horticulturist to love flowers. I find that quite a few things are done in Japan nearly the way they are in Europe. By the same token my Japanese mate took to Europe like the proverbial duck to water.
by Red Frog rate this post as useful

going for 3 weeks 2008/3/14 09:08
ok I am going for 3 weeks, now I want to go to Tokyo, Nikko, Kyoto,mount koya (koyasan) and osaka

now I want to fin at Tokyo last but what is the best way to do this trip via JPN Rail Pass.
In the sense that I dont double back.
I rather not land in Tokyo first as I will try to get a tocket to one of the other destinations so I can just carry on in one direction.

I want to spent at least 1 week to ten days in Tokyo,

What do you guys think baout my choices as this wil be my first time in JPN, I want to book the ticket this month and also I will book hotels next month, any recommendations ?

My trip will be in October 2008/3/14 09:09
from 2nd Oct to 23rd Oct, so I will get a 3 week JPN RP

. 2008/3/14 09:27
If Osaka, Koyasan, Kyoto, Tokyo and Nikko are all you are doing and you arrive at Kansai airport (Osaka) and exit from Tokyo, a JR rail pass will cost you more than buying single tickets.
by RobBeer rate this post as useful

jpn rail pass 2008/3/14 09:34
I see, how mich more and can I take my 2 pieces of luggage on other trains as I assume I wont be travelling on the bullet trains

I htought that I can use other trains in Tokyo to get aorund on rail pass or I cant

how much money should i take 2008/3/14 09:43
I was thinking about 100,000 - 150,000 yen since I hear there are a quite a few places that dont accept credit cards.

I take it that should be more than enough as my hotels will be paid beofre hand

. 2008/3/14 10:08
This is based on using the shinkansen from Kyoto to Tokyo (13220 Yen). Kansai Airport to Osaka is around 1100-17000 Yen depending on which rail company you use. Osaka to Kyoto 540 Yen. The JR Rail Pass is of no use to go to Koyasan, use the Koyasan Free Sabic ticket:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2358_012.html

To access Nikko there are several passes available, including these that run from 3600 - 4500 Yen. These are cheaper than the JR return fare and give you access to local transportation:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2358_002.html

This comes to less than 15,000 Yen. A 7 day JR Rail Pass will cost you 28,300 Yen. There is no way you are going to spend 13,300 Yen on local JR trains in Tokyo.

You would have to do a lot more travelling to get value from the Pass.

where would I see these football matches 2008/3/14 10:10
October 11, 2008
Argentina vs Uruguay

and

October 15, 2008
Chile vs Argentina

Thanks

2-3 weeks in Japan 2008/3/14 10:19
I wouldn't recommend that you take 2 suitcases even for 3 weeks. One 26" with sturdy wheels is more than enough plus a small backpack, preferably a stylish one, for camera, guidebook, passport etc. and just enough spare room for a rolled up light raincoat or /and thin sweater when the weather is iffy. business hotels often have washing machines and most have a clothesline over the bathtub to dry underwear, shirts/ blouses etc. You should also plan your trip to avoid too many long distance trips if you don't buy an all Japan JR pass (you can get regional passes for a couple of days). Even if you were to buy an all Japan pass the trick is to buy a 7 days one for a 10-12 days trip, and a 14 days for a trip of up to 3 weeks.
by Monkey see rate this post as useful

Hotels 2008/3/14 10:19
How do you mean your hotels will be paid in advance? It is normal to pay when you check in or check out. Are booking and paying in advance thru a travel agent or online company?

Booking early 2008/3/14 22:07
I was book through the internet and so all my money on me would be spent on food and other stuff.

I was going to bring 2 suitcases, as one is for my personal items and the other would be for buying items

As I like Video games, Anime and other types of stuff

suitcases 2008/3/15 05:10
If you bring 2 suitcases bring one that can fit in the other (like a 24" + a 26")so you only have one suitcase to carry most of the time and only buy gifts by the end of your trip. Mind you it is your money, your muscles but I wouldn't want to have to bother with 2 suitcases in crowded stations, trains, subways etc. I love window shopping but seldom buy gifts in Japan, Europe etc. because of the high prices for clothes etc. even electronics are expensive or wouldn't work in my country. I usually only buy books and magazines and mail them home. As for gifts for friends I have found that many aren't interested at all in "ethnic" gifts whatever the country is.
by Monkey see rate this post as useful

reply to this thread