Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

A few miscellaneous questions 2008/2/4 14:14
I live in Canada, and I would like to bring my laptop to Japan.

Is a laptop too sensitive to plug in with the 100V in Japan?

Also, in April, would a sweater/coat be all I need as far as the weather is concerned?

When I use my debit card in the 7-11 or post office ATM, how exactly will the exchange rate work? And will I be able to find post offices and 7-11's easily in Tokyo, Kyoto, and Osaka?

Thank you!
by Nathan  

Questions 2008/2/4 15:30
Nathan,

Most modern portable devices are usually capable of running off 100-240 V, but you need to check what it says on the device itself or in the manual.

Also, in April, would a sweater/coat be all I need as far as the weather is concerned?

Depends on what part of Japan you are visiting...
See here: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2273.html

When I use my debit card in the 7-11 or post office ATM, how exactly will the exchange rate work?

Sorry, I don't understand your question.

And will I be able to find post offices and 7-11's easily in Tokyo, Kyoto, and Osaka?

Yes.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

7-11 2008/2/4 18:14
Nathan, according to Wikipedia
Japan has more 7-Eleven locations than anywhere else in the world. Of the 28,123 stores around the globe, 11,500 of them are located in Japan. 1,396 are in Tokyo alone. 7-11 is now a Japanese company "Seven & i Holdings"..
as for the ATM, right now I budget for 10 000 yen being worth 100 $ can. As for the exchange rate it is done on the day of the transaction but don't sweat it too much. Of course you pay X extra $ for the privilege of using an ATM not from your bank network. one good thing about 7-11 ATMs is that they give you the actual balance of your account (in Yens. 1000 yens = 10 can.)
by Red Frog rate this post as useful

7-11 locator 2008/2/4 18:54
this site has a locator for 7-11 ATM:
www.sevenbank.co.jp/intlcard/index2.html
enter the area you are interested in on the first line (I entered Ueno in Tokyo)and click search on the same line.you get a list of stores (20 alone in taito-ku where Ueno is). click on the store name and you get a map in Japanese. I would search an area near a rail station as this landmark will be obvious on the small Japanese map. you need to familiarize yourself with the main areas of Tokyo, Osaka (both have a JR loop line serving major districts) and Kyoto (I would check around the JR station)
note that Osaka and Kyoto are 30- 40 minutes by very frequent trains so one place is enough..
look at the internet for maps (you could also print a few maps from the 7-11 locator). . I buy my paper maps of Japan in Canada

No Problems 2008/2/4 20:40
Nathan,

A Laptop from Canada will work, No Problem.

If you are from Vancouver Canada? Spring is simular.

When I use my debit card in the 7-11 or post office ATM, how exactly will the exchange rate work?

You will be charged the going rate of exchange.

And will I be able to find post offices and 7-11's easily in Tokyo, Kyoto, and Osaka?

No Problems.
by SD rate this post as useful

... 2008/2/5 11:45
Is this one right near Ikebukuro station?

http://map.e-map.co.jp/standard/12300010/index.htm?id=000000...

And on that website, where it says "The unit of withdrawal transaction is 10,000 JPY." Does this mean I can only get 10,000 Yen bills?

And if I can withdrawal 500 CAD each day at home, does this mean I can pull out 50,000 Yen per day in Japan?

Thanks!
by Nathan rate this post as useful

ATMs 2008/2/5 12:00
Nathan,

Is this one right near Ikebukuro station?
http://map.e-map.co.jp/standard/12300010/index.htm?id=000000...

It's about 300 m from the station. Don't forget that there are Post Office ATMs in the vicinity which may be closer. (See map below - no English version available)
http://map.japanpost.jp/pc/map.php?company=3001&el=139/43/03...

And on that website, where it says "The unit of withdrawal transaction is 10,000 JPY." Does this mean I can only get 10,000 Yen bills?

That is the first time I've heard of this, but that seems to be what it is saying. ATMs normally dispense 1,000 and 10,000 yen notes.

And if I can withdrawal 500 CAD each day at home, does this mean I can pull out 50,000 Yen per day in Japan?

I guess so.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

. 2008/2/5 12:10
At the post office atm, you'll get charged about 3% to withdrawal US dollars. I don't know if it's the same rate for CAD. 7/11 charges an additional 200-300 yen per withdrawal.
by K rate this post as useful

costs 2008/2/5 13:11
Nathan,
10 000 yen notes go like crazy if you aren't too careful.for example 2 basic meals a day plus an afternoon snack plus local transportation to 3 or 4 places (or a 1 day transit card)and you have spent 5000 yen.

reply to this thread