Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Travellers 54 & 61 1st time to Japan 2008/2/5 15:41
We are traveling to Japan 2nd Oct 08 for 3 weeks and would like to plan our own itinerary and accommodation. Arriving and leaving through Narida. Air fares have been arranged. We will have family in Osaka. We would like to see as much as possible including 'off the beaten track'. Budget is important.
by Nola  

... 2008/2/5 18:36
Here are some suggestions:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2400.html

And here you might be able to find something that is of special interest to you:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e623a.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

Why not the Takayama matsuri? 2008/2/6 03:47
Hello.

So many things to see in Japan, all of them interesting... but I would only like to suggest you not to miss the Takayama Matsuri on October 9th and 10th. I think you are lucky enough to be in Japan during those dates, and if visiting Takayama fits in your itinerary, I'm sure you will have a truly authentic Japanese experience. You will have to book your accomodation in Takayama really soon, though (now would be a good time... no kidding). Last year I started my search around February and several places were already booked out!

Look in the links above provided by Uji for sample itineraries and plenty of information on other places not to miss.

I hope this suggestion helps.
by Angel rate this post as useful

In 3 weeks. 2008/2/7 17:52
Japan is about the size of California, but in 3 weeks, if you take advantage of the shinkansen (bullet train), and the JR Rail Pass (an excellent deal), you can cover quite a lot of territory (Narita to Osaka will take about 2.5 hours). Generally, I recommend planning for a mix of cities, countryside, mountains and sea. If you don't like one area, you can move on to someplace else.

If you aren't a younger traveler looking for nightlife, don't linger too long in Tokyo. First time visitors often assume Tokyo is the cultural center of Japan, but Tokyo is primarily a business center. You will find more culture, better cuisine, and much more to do in the friendlier Kansai (Osaka, Kyoto, Kobe, Nara) area.

Japan's history and culture is scattered through out Japan, and almost anyplace can be an interesting experience. Kyushu, the Japan Sea side of Japan, and particularly Shikoku are often overlooked areas, but as rewarding as any other place for the first time traveler.

The Takayama Matsuri is one of the 3 main festivals in Japan, and a unique experience. Also, near Takayama, is Shirakawa-go, a UNESCO world heritage farm town.

From Osaka, explore Japan's Inland Sea. Views from Okayama, Takamatsu, Hiroshima, can be stunning. Also, try the Wakayama area, including Mt. Koya, or the remote and very scenic coastline east (or north) of Wakayama city. One of the most unknown areas in Osaka is Jinai-machi, near Tondabayashi, which offers one of largest areas of increasingly rare historical architecture in Japan.

by zoogy rate this post as useful

... 2008/2/7 22:37
Narita to Osaka will take about 2.5 hours

It is more like 3.5 to 4 hours!
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread