Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Trip in May 2008/2/5 22:51
In May I start a trip across Japan. I have been in Japan again 2 years ago. This time I travel with my girlfriend and will stop in Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto, Kochi, Toyama and Nagoya. Do you have any hints for me, that I should not miss during the trip? Are there any events during that days? Many thanks for your help!
by Nico  

The other . . . 2008/2/7 09:39
. . . cities there is lot of material, however I applaud you for visiting Kochi. You will find the lifestyle there different from the rest of Japan.

Kochi Castle is a gem, all original, with some unique architecture. It sits atop high stone walls and is very photogenic. Ryugado Cavern is one of the larger limestone caves in Japan. You can also go whale watching, which I hear there is an 80% chance of seeing whales. I've not done this but I believe you have to make reservations.

If you go on Sunday there is a big morning market. Kochi is famous for katsuo or small tuna, seared on the outside and eaten sashimi style. Tangerines are much sweeter than Izu ones. The area is also famous for Tosa cutlery.

There is a good tourist info center in Kochi with English speakers and English maps. Both the castle and cavern have free tour guides but the ones at the cavern don't speak English.

It's a little known fact that you can reach Kochi from Okayama in only 2.5 hrs via a special express train.
by Clevor rate this post as useful

Kochi Is Indeed Nice 2008/2/7 11:53
I was in Kochi last year in early June and liked it very much. If you can, stay overnight on a Saturday. There is a sightseeing bus called the My Yu bus that you can use to get to some good tourist places, but it apparently only runs on weekends. I took this bus to Katsurahama (very famous spot but not particularly great in my opinion) and Godaisan (terrific view, well worth stopping) and Makino Botanical Gardens (excellent, I highly recommend it). The Sunday market and castle are both very good. Kochi has a lot of good food and many venues for informal dining. Good atmosphere. I will go back.

I can recommend the Best Western Hotel. Nothing fancy but good location, clean rooms, and a very pleasant breakfast for a good price.

The train ride through the mountains on the way to Kochi is very scenic, I think.
by Uma rate this post as useful

reply to this thread