Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

JR Pass is worth? 2008/2/6 02:32
Hi,
i wondering if is it worth to buy the JR Pass 7 days / 14 days / no to buy?

my plan so far: planning to travel in japan for ~15 days
1, land in Kansai International Airport goto osaka stay the night.
2, kyoto stay for 2 day inculde nara
3, mount koya 1 night
4, travel to hiroshima (stop at himeji on the way) stay at hiroshima .
5, visit to miyajima island, don't know if to stay in hiroshima or osaka next day is for takayama ?
6, travel to takayama stay there one night
7, goto matsumoto (is it worth to stay here over night ?)
8, goto mount fuji stay at kawaguchiko 1 night
9, visit fuji and around then goto hakone stay at hakone 1 day
10 visit hakone then goto kamakura then goto tokyo city,stay at tokyo (too mach for one day?)
11 tokyo city
12 tokyo city
13 nikko city but return to tokyo at night (stay at nikko maybe? any recommendation?)
14 tokyo city
15 return home from Nirta Airport

that it, from the plan do you think it is recommanded to buy the JR pass for 7/14/no buy?
i know that there are some line that are not JR and may be it is better to use diffrent train lines?
any way please advice for any recommendation? also if the plan is too mach and i should reduce the number of sites?
the date are arounf of end of march 25 till 10 of april,
Thnaks
pascal

by pascal schwartz  

... 2008/2/6 13:40
The itinerary is doable.

As for a rail pass, a 7-day pass would probably cost about the same as regular tickets for the JR sections you will be traveling. Indeed, several sections will be non-JR, such as the bus between Takayama and Matsumoto and transportation around Mount Fuji and Hakone.

But the major trips Osaka - Hiroshima - Takayama alone justify the purchase of the pass.
by Uji rate this post as useful

some ideas 2008/2/6 15:29
some people, like me, prefer to stay in a hotel for several days rather than change hotels all the time. Sometimes it can't be helped but for example why not go straight from Kansai to Kyoto? you could visit Osaka on a daytrip from Kyoto(30-40 minutes one way)
by Red Frog rate this post as useful

hiroshima to takayama? 2008/2/6 15:51
thanks for the ideas
but i really don't about:

1. when going to takayama from hiroshima how long it would take?(7 hours?) if let say we leaving hiroshima around ~16:00 is it better to stay at nogya then in the moring going to takayama?
2. i thinking of stying in kyoto 1 more day instead of going to mount koya ? good idea? (to save time/money...) or mount koya is must/better?
3. if going to mount koya how can we reserve accommodation there at temple?

pascal
by pascal rate this post as useful

. 2008/2/6 16:36
1. when going to takayama from hiroshima how long it would take?(7 hours?) if let say we leaving hiroshima around ~16:00 is it better to stay at nogya then in the moring going to takayama?

Hiroshima 16:50--Hikari472--18:11 Shinkobe 18:25--Hikari384--19:32 Nagoya 19:43--Hida19--22:07 Takayama
In case 11 minutes transfar sounds too short on time to you;

Hiroshima 16:15--Hikari470--17:44 Shin-Osaka 18:13--Hikari428--19:21 Nagoya

The connections are valid from 15 March.

2. i thinking of stying in kyoto 1 more day instead of going to mount koya ? good idea? (to save time/money...) or mount koya is must/better?

Overall your itinerary sounds very hectic, so you might consider nailing down the desired places more. My suggestion is that you might want to increase the # of days in Kyoto, skipping Koyasan this time.

Also you might directly head from Kawaguchiko onto Tokyo and skip Hakone. Then visit Kamakura from Tokyo.

As for transport from Takayama to Kawaguchiko, refer to the thread below.
http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+45673
I don't think Matsumoto is worth an overnight stay.
by optimistk rate this post as useful

The most important thing is 2008/2/6 18:02
the season that you want to use a 7-day pass (called Seishun 18 kippu). If in spring, a 7-day pass is only available (=you can buy) from Feb. 20th to the end of Mar.
by kyalan rate this post as useful

thank for help 2008/2/6 22:41
Thank you for all your help,
i think we will skip mount koya and stay aonther day in kyoto, also skip kamakura and go to tokyo.

Pascal

by pascal rate this post as useful

Can only buy at certain times? 2008/2/7 06:11
kyalan, you can only buy a 7 day JR rail pass from the 20th of February until the end of March?

Are you sure? What period of time is the rail pass valid for? What if you buy one before Feb 20? How long would it be valid for?

I have read about the JR rail pass but never saw anything that says they are only available during certain times.
by . rate this post as useful

Seishun Kippu 2008/2/7 06:26
I believe kyalan was referring to the Seishun 18 Kippu, which is only on sale between Feb 20 to Mar 31. Information can be found here:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2362.html

The JR 7-day pass can be bought at any time.
by Keitm rate this post as useful

reply to this thread