Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

characters for "ochi" 2008/2/7 07:03
im making a painting for a friend (for valentine's day), she studies japanese and some of his friends give her the "ochi" nickname so i wanna add a big-grounge-rock´n-style ochi on the paint i think that ochi is like this おち but what if im wrong?!! XD plz help plzzz
by charliedpm  

... 2008/2/7 11:41
"Ochi" can be written as
おち
オチ (in Katakana)
or
越智
The bottom one is often used for a surname.
by JLady rate this post as useful

Katakana 2008/2/7 13:33
Charliedpm,

I suggest writing it in katakana (オチ) as your first choice. Kanji would just look weird.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

... 2008/2/7 13:37
May I ask why she got that nickname? I would write it in katakana, as suggested by Dave in Saitama, but *just in case* she got it from a well-known Japanese person with that family name or something like that, for example, THEN it would make sense to find out how THAT person's name is written, and use that :)
by AK rate this post as useful

... 2008/2/7 13:45
mmm i think that ochi means strawberry or something like that, cuz she is so sweet XD (a friend of her told me that), but you are the experts T-T im a noob, but i can help you whit your spanish XD
by charliedpm rate this post as useful

... 2008/2/7 13:54
"Strawberry" in Japanese is "ichigo," though...

... 2008/2/7 13:59
by the way thanks for the help..
Maybe i heard wrong T-T but de fact is that all of his best friends call her ochi o.O ochi means?..

Ochi 2008/2/7 14:22
Charliedpm,

ochi means?..

Amongst other things, the punchline of a joke.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

... 2008/2/7 14:37
The problem is that, other than the "punchline of a joke" as given above, "ochi" by itself doesn't really mean anything in Japanese, even though there are family names and place names... that's why I thought it *could* have been taken from another Japanese name....

Hearing that you can speak Spanish, I thought that you possibly might have confused "chi" and "shi" sounds, but if it was "oishii," then it means "tasty" (not "sweet") so you wouldn't really want that as a nickname either...

... 2008/2/7 14:47
mmm i have asked again XD and ochi its like a local joke, it comes from ichigo,, dont ask XD

reply to this thread