Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Should I buy a Rail Pass? 2008/2/7 17:54
Hello, i will be arriving At Osaka Airport on Friday 29 feb then getting train to Nara for the weekend. then Monday 3 March train to Miki . we might travel the next few days then on friday 7 March would like to go up to Tokyo for the weekend. then Sunday 9 March back to Miki. Then on Tuesday 11 March, train back to Osaka for flight back home to Sydney. is it worth getting a rail pass? can anyone help? Thanks!
by Helmarri  

... 2008/2/8 08:01
I assume you mean Miki City in Hyogo Prefecture.

The round trip to Tokyo alone justifies the purchase of a 7-day Japan Rail Pass, unless you are on a very tight budget, in which case I recommend using cheap night buses instead of the shinkansen:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4006.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

Thank you Uji 2008/2/8 18:33
Dear Uji, my son lives in Miki-shi, Hyogo-ken. Is that the same place? Thank you, Helmarri.
by Helmarri rate this post as useful

... 2008/2/8 22:20
Yes, shi means city and ken means prefecture :)

Should I buy a Rail Pass? 2008/2/9 08:41
Thank you Uji. if i buy my 7 day rail pass on a tuesday morning, will it expire the following tuesday morning or can i use it until midnight? Helmarri
by Helmarri rate this post as useful

. 2008/2/9 08:49
Itis good up to 11:59pm Monday. - 12:00AM tuesday
by John rate this post as useful

... 2008/2/9 09:15
if i buy my 7 day rail pass on a tuesday morning, will it expire the following tuesday morning or can i use it until midnight?

You have to buy your pass outside of Japan before coming to Japan:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361.html

When you change the voucher into the actual pass, you set a starting date. The pass will then be valid fro seven consecutive calendar days (midnight to midnight) from the starting date.

thank you all for your information. 2008/4/5 08:05
thank you everyone for your information. i had a wonderful time in Japan. I took the Shinkansen to and from Tokyo from Kobe and then again from Himeji to Hiroshima and back. i could also use the JR Pass on some of the JR trains to Kobe and around Tokyo and Hiroshima.
it was wonderful to see my son in Miki and to discover a new country. i hope to go back soon.
by Helmarri Anziliero rate this post as useful

reply to this thread