Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

East, west, south, north gate 2008/2/12 07:48
I'am on an trainstation...How do you ask the way to:
The east gate
The west gate
The south gate
The north gate
by Yacine  

... 2008/2/12 09:58
The east gate: Higashi-guchi
The west gate: Nishi-guchi
The south gate: Minami-guchi
The north gate: Kita-guchi

- XXXX wa docchi desu ka? (Which way is XXXX?)
- XXXX wa doko desu ka? (Where is XXXX?)
- XXXX ni wa dou ittara ii desu ka? (How do I get to XXXX?)
by AK rate this post as useful

. 2008/2/12 16:18
On a train station, you don't really need to ask for such things, as all exits are normally clearly marked in english. There are also maps of the area in most train stations. :)
by Haf rate this post as useful

:) 2008/2/12 17:08
Yes, that's what I thought - still I've bumped into tourists getting lost in Ikebukuro station, for example, trying to get to one exit or another. The signs, once you *get* close to the exit, are written also in English, but getting there might be a bit confusing in some big stations :) So knowing the phrase to get you towards the right one would help.
by AK rate this post as useful

Ikebukuro railway station 2008/2/12 20:46
At Ikebukuro station, especially when using the manned gates with a JR Rail Pass and not the many other automatic gate,s it can be helpful first to look for Central Exit and then for the final exit. For example there is no manned gate coming from Yamanote line direct to the Metropolitan Exit.
by Peter rate this post as useful

Ikebukuro 2008/2/12 21:39
Peter wrote:

For example there is no manned gate coming from Yamanote line direct to the Metropolitan Exit.

That's not true though... There is definitely a manned gate at the JR Metropolitan Exit, and I'm pretty sure that *all* exits have to have at least one manned gate - unless of course it's an unmanned station.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

. 2008/2/13 06:35
Yes, that's what I thought - still I've bumped into tourists getting lost in Ikebukuro station, for example, trying to get to one exit or another. The signs, once you *get* close to the exit, are written also in English, but getting there might be a bit confusing in some big stations :) So knowing the phrase to get you towards the right one would help.

Honestly I've been through Ikebukuruo Station myself a few times, that place is a jungle and I keep missing the North exit, even with signs!
------
At Shibuya Station at the Hachiko exit, there is no manned gate, it is a bank of automatic gates that form a 90 degree angle.
by John rate this post as useful

. 2008/2/13 13:41
Hehe, that's right, Ikebukuro station has an odd layout, but when you look at a map of the place it gets quite clear. Well, I more or less have to use that station everytime I go to Tokyo, so I'm quite familiar with it by now. ^^

The other stations are much easier to navigate through and the signs are very clear I'd say.

Of course, it's still good to know how to ask for directions. :)
by Haf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread