Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hakone, Nikko, Onsen 2008/2/14 23:03
Hi!
I will be in Tokyo early April for a week or two. I would also like to see:
(a) Hakone
(b) Nikko
(c) Go to an onsen

1. I may purchase a JRP, mainly for the trips to Hakone and Nikko. Would a JRP get me to those locations?

2. Secondly, I'd like to go to an onsen, in Tokyo or if not Hakone/Nikko. I have never been to one before. Can I have some general advice please on onsens? Are they in Tokyo? What is the cost and custom in using one?

Thanks!
by John  

Hakone,Nikko and Onsen 2008/2/15 10:21
1. If your purpose to purchase JRP is jst to go to Hakone and Nikko, it may cost comparatively high. Hakone is not far from Tokyo and you can get there by local trains within 3hours, for about 2,000YEN(side trip). While JRP cost 20,000YEN minimun.
and to get Nikko, I recommend you to make use of tour bus with english speaking tour guide. Then you can not only roam around the Nikko but enjoy useful explanations about Nikko by a tour guide.The tour expense is about 6,000YEN.

2. Hakone is one of the most famous `Onsen' sites so why don't you try Onsen when you are at Hakone. There are various hotels accompanied with Onsen. My recommendation is the hotels located along the waterfront of lake `Ashinoko'. You can try a short cruise and you might find the sight of Mt. Fuji if it's clear sky.
by miki rate this post as useful

... 2008/2/15 13:48
As mentioned by miki, the Japan Rail Pass makes no sense for your itinerary. Only if you make long distance trips, will a Japan Rail Pass pay off.

How to get to Nikko:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3805.html

How to get to Hakone:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5206.html

As for onsen, Hakone is a good destination. It is one of Japan's most popular hot spring resorts:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5209.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

Nikko tour 6000yen 2008/2/15 18:26
Thank you Miki and Uji.

Miki, the Nikko tour you mentioned for around 6000yen, can you give me the details of that tour please?

Thanks,
John
by John rate this post as useful

Tour to Nikko 2008/2/15 19:28
http://www.jtbgmt.com/sunrisetour/index.aspx

They have 2 types of tours with 10,000Yen and 13,500Yen.
For 6,000Yen is with Japanese guide. Sorry for my mistake.
by Miki rate this post as useful

Hakone Free Pass 2008/2/15 23:46
You may get the Hakone Free Pass, which includes a train fare for return trip, most of the transportation within Hakone National park like, cruise, cable car, ropeway and bus. The free pass can be purchased from Odakyu Service counter at Shinjuku Station. I paid 5,000yen for a day-pass. With that pass, you can explore the park on your own but pls make sure you depart early so you could maximize your trip. Beautiful place! Find out more from the counter.
by LSP rate this post as useful

Sunrise Tours 2008/2/17 12:00
Hi again,
are Sunrise tours only available to be booked online? Or is it possibe to book from the hotel or service counters at Shinjuku station or elsewhere?
Thanks again!
John
by John rate this post as useful

onsen in hakone 2008/2/17 15:02
I thought the onsen at my hotel, Hotellerie Maille Coeur Shougetsu, in Hakone was fabulous. Check out more details here: http://www.2think.org/japan-hotels.shtml
by acase rate this post as useful

Hakone 2008/3/8 01:01
Hi! I am planning to go to Hakone in a day trip from Tokyo, would also like to go to Tenzan Onsen in Hakone Yumoto, if I depart from Shinjuku around 8 in the morning and spend about a couple of hours in Tenzan, would it be enough time to do also the Hakone Round trip and be back in Tokyo for dinner??

Thanks!
by sandrakan rate this post as useful

Hakone and onsen 2008/3/8 01:37
sandrakan,
Yes you can do the round trip and a bath within a day. But I recommend first to do the round trip and in the late afternoon/early evening as a good relaxation go to Tenzan from HakoneYumoto station by bus ( or if you feel to be too late / cannot find bus, walk to Kappa Tengoku ) For this walk near the tracks just back to the bridge, under it, to the right and soon you see the steps to Kappa Tengoku.
by Peter rate this post as useful

Hakone 2008/3/8 19:28
Thanks Peter, do you know at what time departs the last train from Hakone-Yumoto to Shinkuju?

Is this direct or I need to change trains at Odawara??

Once I get the Hakone Free Pass the previous day at Shinjuku? Do I have to book seats for next day?

Thanks!
by sandrakan rate this post as useful

... 2008/3/9 07:00
do you know at what time departs the last train from Hakone-Yumoto to Shinkuju?

At 22:37. But note that Hakone completely calms down (i.e. almost no dining opportunities, etc.) after around 19:00.

Is this direct or I need to change trains at Odawara??

You need to change at Odawara.

Once I get the Hakone Free Pass the previous day at Shinjuku? Do I have to book seats for next day?

No. Express trains along the Odakyu Line do not even allow seat reservations. Only if you intend to use the "Romance Car" limited express (at a surcharge) will you need to make advance seat reservations sometime before departure time.
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread