Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Best Airline U.S to Narita 2008/2/20 05:37
What is the best airline to take going from US to Tokyo Narita? Food, Comfort, service? And what is the cheapest?
by Stephanie  

. 2008/2/20 17:08
Stephanie this question is very broad and subjective.

Not always will you get the best for the cheapest price.

Not to mention are we speaking of coach, business or first class. Also depends on where you live if you want a nonstop or do you mind a connection.

Coach service is all about the same, Northwest airlines provides cheap tickets many times to Japan, I would hardly say it is the best airline, but it gets you there no frills.

However coach is coach in for airlines, nothing fantastic among the major carriers.

For service any of the Japanese airlines JAL or ANA works, but again they tend to be a little more expensive on the US side, and if you don't live in a US city where they fly to, you'll have to fly on one of their US partner airlines to make a connection.

The "best" would be shelling out 3-6 thousand dollars on a business class seat and flying in comfort. Of course that isn't a cheap option.
by John rate this post as useful

JAL 2008/2/20 18:03
Stephanie,

Of the Japanese airlines, ANA is supposed to be quite good from a service point of view, but it's many years since I have flown with them. JAL, however, has been going through financial problems in recent years, with cutbacks noticeable in economy class. The food is only barely above dogfood level, so is probably now comparable with American airlines. If you are travelling Business Class, I would be happy to recommend JAL, but I would suggest looking elsewhere if you are travelling Economy Class.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

NWA is the cheapest 2008/2/20 18:19
NWA usually has the cheapest flights. it also depends on where you live in the US. the bigger the city, the more frequent the flights, thus making the flights from that city cheaper.

check United, as well. I heard their prices are comparable to NWA, in terms of flights to tokyo.
by Kaye rate this post as useful

No doubt SQ 2008/2/20 20:14
If you can fly out of LAX into NRT, I'd recommend you to fly with Singapore Airlines without hesitation. They are always excellent. Flight attendants are always attentive, they serve mostly decent meals no matter which class I fly in. Flew with them innumerable times. They address you by name in C and F class. Very impressive.

SQ food in C class:
http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=71736073%40N00&q=airlinemeal...

ANA is nice as well. Their FFP service is a little stingy compared with UA. Still excellent airline.

Their food in C class:
http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=71736073%40N00&q=airlinemeal...

I like UA as well because of their generous FFP service and reliable ground operations, though their food should be improved...Thanks to their FFP, I have been able to make a number of complimentary trips.

Overall, I like Star Alliance carriers.
by optimistk rate this post as useful

. 2008/2/20 20:30
by optimistk rate this post as useful

Airline 2008/2/20 22:48
Actually I want a nonstop flight from JFK or Newark and I don't want to spend over $1100 for the ticket. I went last year on American Airlines and it wasn't too bad. I was just seeing if anyone else had a better experience. And not many people can dish out $3000 for a plane ticket!
by Stephanie rate this post as useful

.. 2008/2/26 06:24
Actually I want a nonstop flight from JFK or Newark and I don't want to spend over $1100 for the ticket. I went last year on American Airlines and it wasn't too bad.

Depending on when you leave, you should be able to meet that budget flying JFK-NRT on NW, Delta, or AA. Of the three, I think Delta may have an edge on AA, which beats NWA. American economy has squeezed a few more rows of seats in making it tighter the last few years. It's still hit or miss on food and service in economy.

Be sure to check the ''fuel surcharges'' for each airline because it varies from $50 to $150 per leg on Japan flights. Some airlines are even honest and just quote the final price.
by Anaguma rate this post as useful

. 2008/2/26 06:58
If you can afford it, go with JAL or ANA--comfortable seats, better food and service. Of course they are $200-300 more than American airlines, such as NW UA AA and Delta.

I don't know if Singapore flies your route, but they are not better than JAL or ANA. Their food and service are good, but the seats are so narrow. If you're an average sized American, you'll feel squished!
by Tokyonet rate this post as useful

reply to this thread