Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Possible to buy two JR Rail Pass? 2008/2/20 14:17
I've planned to buy both JR-West Rail Pass and JR Japan Rail Pass(7 days). Intended periods of use are March 29-30 and March 31-April 6 consecutively. However, according to JR-West website it said

'' *One person may only make one purchase of one ticket during one stay in Japan.''

I'm not quite sure if I can buy two types of JR Rail Pass? Anyone can assure me? Thank you in advance for all answers.
by Chinensis  

. 2008/2/20 20:03
That is if you are purchasing the pass in Japan. The JR West pass can be purchased in Japan (one only) or a voucher can be purchased overseas, to which there is no restriction. Remember, also, that the all areas 7 day JR Rail Pass is not sold in Japan, you need to get the voucher before arriving in Japan.
by RobBeer rate this post as useful

Thanks 2008/2/20 21:45
I've purchased 7-day Rail Pass voucher. The point is that I also want to buy JR-West Pass, but someone said that any additional Rail Pass couldn't be purchased if one already held the Pass. I'm rather confused.
by Chinensis rate this post as useful

JR Pass AND JR West Pass 2008/2/20 22:33
You can buy one or more Exchange Order for the JR Rail Pass ( all Japan area and available as a 7 day, 14 day or 21 day Pass ) only outside Japan.
You can buy one JR-West Rail Pass in Japan.
For both types you need to be "temporary visitor".
So YOU can buy one JR West Rail Pass in Japan and in addition to the Exchange Order you already hold.

by Peter rate this post as useful

a third attempt just in case 2008/2/21 07:14
JR West Pass

If purchased inside Japan: limit of one pass per person
If purchased outside of Japan: no limit

Japan Rail Pass

If purchased inside Japan: impossible
If purchased outside of Japan: no limit
by Uji rate this post as useful

... 2008/2/21 10:25
I am not sure if I understand correctly, a JR West Pass (4 days) will cost you 20000 yen. If you are adding the 20000yen on top of the ordinary 7 day JR Pass, you are able to get a 14 day JR Pass which only cost 45100yen. Since you are travelling from 29 march to 6 April, it will cost less to get a 14days instead of two passes. However, you can also buy a 3 day area Pass in West Japan for around 5000 yen. It will get you as far as Himeji from Osaka.
by lester rate this post as useful

. 2008/2/21 10:51
Thats assuming they got the JR West Sanyo Area Pass.

Maybe the OP wants to get the JR West Kansai Area Pass.
by John rate this post as useful

. 2008/2/21 10:52
Yeah @ second part I missed that.

There is no limit outside of Japan.

Honestly, I'm not sure how they keep track of it if you bought one in Japan, I doubt there's some master database they keep track of it all. Maybe they do.
by John rate this post as useful

Mmm... 2008/2/21 12:58
Thank you so much for all your help and suggestion. I just want to buy 1-day JR West Kansai Area Pass only for my 1st day of the trip. From your comments above, that mean it's possible to purchase more than one JR Pass. Then, I'll get the West Pass in Japan.
by Chinensis rate this post as useful

reply to this thread