Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

From Kyoto to Hokkaido by ferry/bus 2008/2/21 23:13
I'm living in Kyoto and I want to visit Hokkaido but, despite the heaps of information I've been finding, I'm still a bit at a loss. There's ports at Maizura, Tsuraga, and Osaka and I think that there's a way to get to Hokkaido from all of them (maybe Kobe too?), but I'm not sure which one's the best way. We want to see either Sapporo or Hakodate (we're open) and are willing to stop and explore along the way. What do you all recommend? What would be the cheapest, what with the cost of actually getting to the ports.
Is it even possible to get to Hokkaido from Osaka? I'm especially confused by that part.
Thanks so much! This is a wonderful forum.
by shirley  

. 2008/2/22 07:35
I donLt know if it would be possible, but in the case it is, I donLt think that it would be much cheaper than taking the plane.
by aerond rate this post as useful

bus and airplane 2008/2/22 11:58
i'm a japanese living in sapporo.
now i've searched about it,from kyoto to tokyo by bus and from tokyo to sapporo by airplane is the cheapest way it seems.SKYMARK AIRLINES is the cheapest airline.
have a nice trip!
by yo rate this post as useful

See Hakodate OR Sapporo 2008/2/22 13:27
Shirley:

Hokkaido is fairly far from Kyoto. If you're committing the time and expense of traveling to Hokkaido, you should visit both Hakodate and Sapporo.

Since you're up there, plan for additional days and visit other places depending on what your interests are.

Look at the map of Hokkaido and research other places. I'm sure you'll enjoy your trip that much more.
by Harold rate this post as useful

thanks 2008/2/22 19:49
Thanks for the info everyone. But is it really that much cheaper to go by bus then plane? I was rather looking forward to a ferry experience, but alas. I may end up paying more just to do that.
And to Harold, don't worry. We've got other things planned too! :) I definitely want to see Mt. Usu, though how pleasant that trip will be in early March remains to be seen. If you have any off-beat suggestions, I'd love to hear them!
by shirley rate this post as useful

... 2008/2/25 10:42
I would advise against the ferry unless you have lots of travel time. The ferry from Maizuru to Otaru (the only direct ferry from Kyoto area to Hokkaido) takes about 20 hrs one way.

Flights from KIX to Chitose are very competitive to the ferry as well (13000+ yen for the most discounted flights vs. 9000 yen second class ferry or 15500 yen first class ferry).

Anyway, here's the ferry route page to check out:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2355_01.html

and the domestic air page:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2365.html
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

... 2008/2/25 10:44
as far as I can tell there are no buses that connect Hokkaido to Kyoto (or the rest of Honshu for that matter) Looks like plane will be your best bet.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2366_sapporo.html
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread