Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Walking tour Asakusa - Ueno Park 2008/2/23 13:59
My husband and I will be staying at Toyoko Inn Asakusa near Komagata Station in April. We want to walk to Ueno Park and Ameyoka Cho. What is the best interesting route to take? We want to see quaint houses and shops along the way. Suggestion for economical Japanese restaurants (US $10) in the area?
by Hawaiigal  

Take the shuttle 2008/2/25 10:26
You can walk from that Toyoko Inn to Ueno, but it's a long haul even if it doesn't look like it on the map. Most of the way is new residential and it's not too interesting. There isn't much there that's "quaint" unless you like concrete buildings. You might try it once just to see a bit. I walked it once, and afterwards used a bicycle or the subway.

The Toyoko Inn Asakusa Senzoku has a free shuttle to Ueno Station, so you might catch it over and walk back, as it's easier to spot it at the hotel than at Ueno station.
by Anaguma rate this post as useful

. 2008/2/25 11:26
I think the Toyoko Inn Asakusa Senzoku stopped running the free shuttle when the Tsukuba express line opened nearby.
Plus that doesn't matter much they are staying at the
Toyoko Inn Asakusa Komagata not the Senzoku one. The Komagata one is within walking distance to Asakusa Station on the Ginza Line that goes right to Ueno.
by John rate this post as useful

.. 2008/2/25 15:05
That makes more sense as I didn't know the location of a Komagata station.
by Anaguma rate this post as useful

walking 2008/2/25 16:00
It takes me 40 minutes walking from Asakusa to Ueno. I have a detailed map of Tokyo and zig zag along back streets. There are the odd wood house here and there, small shops, small shrines and to me this is definitely quaint enough for someone (I am from both Europe and North America) Not quaint in a big WOW!!! kind of way, but the flower pots carefully arranged on a sliver of space by a house or store, the signs' calligraphy, the open door of old workshop, this is all so fascinating for me and, I HOPE,the original poster.
by Red Frog rate this post as useful

Skip the Walk 2008/2/26 00:06
I would skip that walk and take the subway to Ueno. After you have explored the park I would suggest that you explore the area northwest of the park, Yanaka:

http://tinyurl.com/2v3ukh

I think this is much more what you are looking for, especially Yanaka Ginza. If you plan the walk so you finish up at JR Nippori station (east of Yanaka Ginza), you can jump on the Yamanote Line to Okachimachi station for Ameyoko, as this station is not as busy or confusing as getting off at Ueno.

I am sure you will be exploring the temples and shrines of Asakusa, you should also check out Kappabashi Dori, an amazing street:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3020.html
by RobBeer rate this post as useful

Walking tour Asakusa-Ueno Park 2008/2/26 04:54
Thanks to all for your input. I think I'll take RobBeer's suggestion of catching the subway to Ueno and walking up to Yanaka, which seems to be what we're looking for. I had also wanted to visit Tomato in Nippori, so that seems convenient, too. Then take the subway to Ameyoka; and walk back to Asakusa. We'll do Kappa Bashi and Nakamise on another day. Also plan to take the Sumida Boat ride, too.
by Hawaiigal rate this post as useful

. 2008/2/26 05:44
It's not the subway you want from Nippori, it is the JR Yamanote Line.
by RobBeer rate this post as useful

reply to this thread