Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How far is Kyoto from Tokyo? 2008/2/25 10:52
Hi, I am a mexican citizen and I am planning to go to Japan, so I would like to know how far is Kyoto from Tokyo because my plan is to land in Tokyo (Narita) and then go to Kyoto. Or if you knew a better option to reach Kyoto city. Please recommend me the best option.

Thank you.
by Ivan  

... 2008/2/25 10:54
Why not fly directly to Kansai International Airport (KIX) instead if you plan to go directly to Kyoto.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

From Tokyo to Kyoto 2008/2/25 11:40
Hi,

As his/her advice, buying a direct air ticket to Kansai Airport (KIX) is one option but you may not able to use direct flight to KIX.

The distance from Tokyo to Kyoto is about 500km.

Which city is your priority?
If you stay in Tokyo longer, it is better to use very fast train (which is called SHINKANSEN). It takes approximately 2 hours. For non-Japanese residents, there are discount tickets, so you can use trains with lower costs.
by nobkov rate this post as useful

Kyoto 2008/2/25 15:54
The shinkansen from Tokyo to Kyoto takes a little over 2 hours. But the total travel time to central Tokyo from Narita is about also about 2 hours.

As others have mentioned, flying directly into Kansai is your best bet. Kansai is newer, and more convenient and no more than an hour from Kyoto.

If Tokyo is on your itinerary, consider flying into one airport and departing from another to save time.
by Inago rate this post as useful

Kyoto 2008/2/25 16:30
please check Travel at the top of this page then transportation.
by Red Frog rate this post as useful

. 2008/2/25 16:50
Hi, I am a mexican citizen and I am planning to go to Japan, so I would like to know how far is Kyoto from Tokyo because my plan is to land in Tokyo (Narita) and then go to Kyoto. Or if you knew a better option to reach Kyoto city. Please recommend me the best option.

It's about 4 hours from Narita Airport to Kyoto via Shinagawa or Tokyo. I have listed all the connections of JR Narita Express and Shinkansen Hikari on the following thread.

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?threadID=1...

If you use a Japan Railpass, you can take both trains.

BTW, if you want to fly directly into Osaka Kansai, you need to fly via the United States, which requires you to get a U.S. visa.

As you may have known, the US authority demands even international transit passengers clear US customs. Can you get a US visa easily? Perhaps you need to have an interview at the US embassy in your country by paying money just to transit there.

Flying with Air Canada from MEX to Osaka Kansai would enable you to avoid the hassles, but you need to transit at Toronto and Vancouver en route.

The bottom line is that you might fly with either Japan Air Lines, Aero Mexico or Air Canada (transit only at Toronto) from MEX to Tokyo Narita. It's the most optimal option.
by optimistk rate this post as useful

. 2008/2/25 16:54
by optimistk rate this post as useful

Hola! 2008/2/25 23:42
I´m sorry if I skip some rule, but as he´s mexican I´ll talk to him in Spanish;

Hola Iván;
Kyoto está a más de 500 km. de Tokyo; el aeropuerto internacional más cercano a Kyoto es el aeropuerto de Kansai (KIX), cerca de Osaka, tambien queda mas cerca el de Nagoya. Si finalmente decides volar a Narita (en Tokyo), se tardan unas 4 horas entre Narita y Kyoto; entre salir del aeropuerto y el transbordo de tren en Tokyo. En Tokyo tendrás que coger un tren bala para ir a Kyoto; y tardan poco mas de dos horas.
Puedes pensar en comprar un JRPass (un pase de ferrocarril para todas las lineas de JR, pues en Japon no todas las lineas pertenecen a la misma compañía), si vas a hacer el trayecto de ida y vuelta desde Narita.

Un saludo!
by Aerond rate this post as useful

Thank you for your advises 2008/2/26 04:17
All,

I want to thank you for your advises and kindness. In my itinerary is not Tokyo, so i am going to plan to land in the Kansai Airport. Yes, I have an US Visa, so there is no problem for me to fly to USA or to Canada. But according with all your comments I will consider to land as near as possible to Kyoto.

Thank you again for your tips.

by Ivan rate this post as useful

reply to this thread