Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Definite must see in Hokkaido? 2008/2/26 03:56
Doing a 14 day whirlwind tour of Japan in November...I would like to spend two to three nights in Hokkaido...any suggestions for 'can't miss' places? Thanks in advance.
by Suzanne  

You aren't going to see much 2008/2/27 11:46
I would either hang around Hakodate for 2 nights or Sapporo. If Hakodate, you can see the market, the night view, the fort, and the old horse-washing hot spring area. There are also Western styled buildings from the Meiji period and an old foreign cemetery.

In Sapporo, I would take a day trip to Otaru to check out the Aoyama Villa in Shukutsu (bus from station), the canal area, and the old Wall Street area. In Sapporo, you can shop the Tanuki Arcade, go up Mt. Moiwa if the weather is nice, and check out a northern city.

If you're traveling by train, I would stop at Hakodate, as travel time up to and back from Sapporo would eat into your available time.
by Anaguma rate this post as useful

... 2008/2/27 12:53
First of all, what you consider best depends on your interests. For shopping, head to Sapporo. For flowers, head to Furano. For ski head to Niseko. Etc. As for nature, most of the best places are time-consuming to access, e.g. Daisetsuzan and Shiretoko National Park.

Some general information:
http://www.japan-guide.com/list/e1101.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

Thanks!! 2008/2/27 22:31
Thanks for your advice everyone. I think Hakodate is the winner this time around. The fish market sounds like a lot of fun, and the fort looks very interesting. We are even thinking about taking a train to Onumi park for a bike ride around the lake. Have you been there?

We'll be flying in to Hakodate from Nagasaki, then back out to Tokyo to go home. So we will hopefully not waste too much time travelling!
by Suzanne rate this post as useful

My 2 cents 2008/2/27 22:55
I visited Hokkaido last November. I stayed in Sapporo, Hakodate and visited Otaru. If you are flying into Hakodate, It will save a lot of time versus train ride from Sapporo. The things you mentioned about Hakodate are great, However, Once the market closes, It can get really dead in the area. During November Lake Onuma is rather grey looking and not much to see. In late November it can be a little chilly for a casual bike ride. For my future trip to Hokkaido, I'll skip Hakodate and go to Otaru again. Same great seafood and fantastic glassware to take home.
by Mitsuo rate this post as useful

... 2008/2/28 08:00
Sounds nice. Yes, I have been to Onuma Park. I rode the bike around the lake and walked along the beautiful walking trails. Good memories. If it is a mild autumn, you might be able to see some autumn colors around the lake in early November.
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread