Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Wheelchair access on Tokyo trains? 2008/2/26 04:18
Can anyone please advise me on the wheelchair access on the trains from Narita airport into Tokyo centre?

If the trains are accessible will I need to make any special arrangements?

Thanks
by Izzy  

. 2008/2/27 11:21
Depends on your final destination in Tokyo and which trains you take.

The Narita Express has special seating ares for disabled (if I recall), many stations have elevators as well.

However you should avoid traveling during rush hour.

At times on other trains you can seek the assistance from station staff, and they're great, they radio the train and sometimes radio the station you're heading to so people will be there waiting as well. Though I'm sure more language skills is required to do this.

Otherwise usually there are elevators etc inside train stations. On local/regular commuter trains it is a little tricker depending on how busy the trains are.
by John rate this post as useful

Thanks 2008/2/28 05:14
Thanks for your help.

Fingers crossed we can get through it all - the language skills will be nil so it's a wee bit scary!!

I think it's the getting from the central Tokyo area to the hotel in Odaiba area that will be trickiest!
by Izzy rate this post as useful

. 2008/2/28 05:19
Have you considered taking a direct limousine bus to the hotel in Odaiba instead?

Taking the trains to Odaiba would involve about 2 large transfers scaling some distance.

Taking the limousine bus in my opinion would be the most comfortable and carefree way to do it, right to the front steps of the hotel.
http://www.limousinebus.co.jp/en/guide/disability.html

Timetable from NRT to Odaiba Area hotels:
http://www.limousinebus.co.jp/en/timetable/narita/takeshiba_...

Thanks again 2008/2/28 05:34
Hi John - thanks again

We have looked at the limousine service but it would appear to be very difficult as my friend in the wheelchair would have to be lifted up into the coach.

I have found a couple of websites of taxi details that appear to have wheelchair accessible taxis and not quite such ridiculous prices as quoted by our travel agents!!

I'll drop thema query and go from there!

We will have plenty of time to get to the hotel anyway so at least we won't be in a rush!

:-)

. 2008/2/28 07:33
I still would recommend the bus over trains. Train ride to Odaiba from Narita Airport requires taking 3 different trains with 2 large transfers.

Fixed taxi fare would cost around 20,000 yen .Unless you know of a cheaper taxi service?

Taxis 2008/2/28 07:49
Thanks again John

After the price we were quoted for a txi the 20,000 yen sounds good!!

The travel agent would have needed £450 to organise a taxi for us - I believe that's abot 100,000 yen!!

:-)

reply to this thread