Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Using a Dell laptop in Japan 2008/2/27 09:30
This summer i will be traveling to a few cities in Japan, and have questions about many things. First, i have heard that there are no American cell phones that will work in Japan, is this true? Also i want to know what things i will need to power my laptop on the plane and while in Japan, and also what the wireless situation there is for free use? Thanks
by kmart  

... 2008/2/27 09:49
First, i have heard that there are no American cell phones that will work in Japan, is this true?

Not true, depends on your particular phone and carrier. See this page:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2223.html

Also i want to know what things i will need to power my laptop on the plane and while in Japan, and also what the wireless situation there is for free use?

You're laptop will be fine in Japan with no adapters needed. Having a power socket available on the plane is entirely dependent on the airline and where your seat is physically located on the plane. For example, Northwest seems to have power plugs available in first and business class and up to row 23 in coach.

There are not many free wireless hotspots available in Japan. There has been discussed many times for example:

http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+7311
http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+45623

try the google search box on the upper left of every page to search the forum.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Hotels with free LAN 2008/2/27 10:32
Many hotels offer free internet access in their rooms. The Toyoko Inn chain not only have free LAN connections in every room, they also have free wireless hotspots in the hotel lobby and even offer free use of 2-3 computers in the lobby as well.
by RobBeer rate this post as useful

Phone and Laptop 2008/3/5 06:06
I was in Tokyo for 2 weeks in December and even though my cell phone provider said my phone would work since it was a tri-band phone, it didnt work at all. I would check with your provider or just rent a Japanese cell phone to be safe.
I took my Dell laptop and was able to plug it into the line in my hotel room and it was perfectly fine. I had no problems whatsoever with my laptop.
by TW rate this post as useful

Plenty of connectivity 2008/3/5 10:16
I have found that free 'true' high speed internet service is offered at the five different hotels that I frequent. As a previous post suggests you Dell should work just fine.

As to the issue with cell phones, I always purchase a phone card from one of the Big Box stores and, I also use my laptop as a telephone as many traverlers seem to do. SKYPE, Yahoo, there are many services and cost almost nothing and have worked very well. They even provide voice mail and, if want for only a couple of dollars a month, a actual U.S. phone number...you pick the area code.
by TravelReady rate this post as useful

reply to this thread