Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Is this an okay gift? 2008/2/27 14:04
So, I went to Japan the first time when I was 17. I was in the country side, and was lost. I asked for help, and this little old woman was so kind, she led me by hand for almost a mile to where I needed to go. I felt awful because she walked so far, and had to walk back. I wanted to give her something in return, but I had nothing.

I'm going back again, and I want to have a gift of some kind in case something like this happens again.

I was wondering - I am from Ohio...we are known as the buckeye state, there are buckeye trees everywhere. The parks and backyards are full of them throughout the summer - they are round and have sharp spines. In september, however, they split open to reveal a beautiful nut - here's a picture in case you don't know what they are: http://www.ohio-nature.com/image-files/buckeye-nuts-lg2.jpg

Anyway, there's myths that buckeyes are supposed to bring good luck and relieve pain when in the pocket.

If I were to collect a few this summer before I leave, when they are still in the shell, and explain that they will split open, would it be a good gift?

And if not, I am completely lost on what to get that will be a good personal gift.

Thanks
by O_o  

... 2008/2/27 15:58
sounds like a thoughtful gift. The only thing I would check is since they're the seed of the tree, they may be restricted by customs.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Cool 2008/2/27 16:15
It must be a good gift. Because Japanese are so superstitious. We have been accepting more than 3000 foreigners so far (Homestay programs). We do not expect such an expensive gift.

by MY rate this post as useful

... 2008/2/27 16:57
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Cool 2008/2/28 01:41
Thanks guys!

I was just worried they would think it was stupid or something ^_^
by O_o rate this post as useful

reply to this thread