Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Buying Toiletries 2008/3/1 05:34
I will be visiting Japan in April, and I had hoped to limit my bags to one backpack and a rolling suitcase. (I can't stand dragging a lot of luggage around.) Since I obviously won't need things like toothpaste and shampoo until I get there, I was thinking that it might be a good idea to buy them after I've checked in at my hotel.

Would this be a good idea? I know some things are more expensive in Japan, and yet others are cheaper. Are there some stores that will sell these things less expensively than others?

I was also wondering about shoe/sock sizes. Last time I visited I bought a very cute pair of socks, but I was younger then, and I've since outgrown them. I remember that they had to guess my size because I did not know (what I assume was) metric sizes.

I wear a pair of shoes called Danskos, and those are size 40. Would that then be my sock size in Japan as well?

Thanks very much.

-Kelly
by Kelly  

... 2008/3/2 12:44
Since I obviously won't need things like toothpaste and shampoo until I get there, I was thinking that it might be a good idea to buy them after I've checked in at my hotel.

In my opinion, this is pure waste of time, unless you enjoy shopping for toiletries in Japan. And even if you buy it in Japan, it will end up in your luggage, after all.

Are there some stores that will sell these things less expensively than others?

Certainly! There are many cheap drug stores and more expensive department stores. You will probably also be able to find many toiletry products in 100 yen shops.

I wear a pair of shoes called Danskos, and those are size 40. Would that then be my sock size in Japan as well?

Here you go:
http://www.i18nguy.com/l10n/shoes.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

Toiletries 2008/3/2 12:48
Kelly,

As Uji says, you can buy everyday toiletries at drugstores, convenience stores, and 100-yen stores. Don't forget that most hotels provide basic toiletry kits anyway, so you might not even need them.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

Buying 2008/3/2 15:03
Uji,

I enjoy shopping in Japan no matter where I am. :)

I did not remember the 100 stores selling shampoo, that's great. I'll be in there anyway!

Thanks for the link.

Dave,

Come to think of it, there were soap and shampoo dispensers on the wall in my hotel last time. That means I'll only need conditioner. Even better!
by Kelly rate this post as useful

... 2008/3/2 15:41
Most hotels provide soap, shampoo and conditioner. The more stars the hotel has, the wider is the range of complementary toiletry available and the better the quality.
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread