Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Earliest train to Tsukiji market 2008/3/3 01:34
I understand that the best time to visit Tsukiji market is around 5am. Would like to find out what time the trains normally starts everyday from Tokyo central.
by Yen  

... 2008/3/3 08:23
Would like to find out what time the trains normally starts everyday from Tokyo central.

Tsukiji is located in central Tokyo. Subways start around 5am. JR trains a little bit earlier.
by Uji rate this post as useful

. 2008/3/3 12:17
Tourists are no longer welcome at Tsukiji tuna auctions starting on April 1st. There is no need for you to go there early in the morning. You can still visit the outer market, though.
by spinner rate this post as useful

... 2008/3/3 12:25
You can still visit the market after April 1. You will not be turned away.

Tsukiji Market 2008/3/3 14:26
Hello! Does it mean the tuna auction is still open to tourists now?? *hopeful*
by sweetheart rate this post as useful

... 2008/3/3 14:47
Officially, the tuna auction has been closed to tourists several years ago, but it seems that tourists still find their way in to disturb the action with flash photography and other inappropriate behavior.

... 2008/3/3 15:44
Thank you so much Uji (you seem to be on the forum a lot, fast too!). I'll be good and stay away from the auctions :)
by sweetheart rate this post as useful

Limited access... 2008/3/3 19:22
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g298184-i861-k1762570-T...

I called the department of the Tokyo Metro Goverment in charge of the management of Tsukiji Market to inquire about the info of restricting public access in the market.

According to the agent I spoke to, they are supposed to ask tourists to refrain from entering the wholesalers' areas until 9 am. This will be enforced from 1st April 2008.
They will start to hand over flyers to the tourists from the end of March, and will edit the website regarding this restriction.

The auction venue will be continuously off-limit to the public all the time.

Seems the wholesalers have been fed up with some tourists' rude behaviors so much that they urged the Metropolitan Government to ban public access.
by optimistk rate this post as useful

Sources of public access restriction 2008/3/4 07:41
http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/nn20080207a2.html

http://www.theage.com.au/text/articles/2008/02/22/1203467386...
by optimistk rate this post as useful

Shame 2008/3/4 10:25
I went to the tuna auction in November, probably around 6.30 or so. We stayed for maybe a half hour. There were plenty of tourists, but I can't recall anyone showing bad behavior.

That's too bad it will be off limits. It is certainly unique and like nothing I've ever seen.
by Bob rate this post as useful

Tsukiji 2008/3/4 10:41
Bob wrote:

There were plenty of tourists, but I can't recall anyone showing bad behavior.

But I think that is the problem. It is a working market, not a tourist sight, so "plenty of tourists" will be getting in the way of business and annoying the people who work there.
I think I heard that the new market planned to be built in Toyosu(?) will have a special glassed tourist viewing area, but that is a few years away yet.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

market 2008/3/4 17:32
I too have read the article in the Japan Times last month. It is a shame that a few morons spoil it for both the workers and the well-behaved tourists. Years ago my mom and I were walking in Paris' Montmartre in the evening on our way to a night-club and we stumbled on 2 male foreign tourists taking pictures of a "lady of the night"! The poor woman was trapped in a doorway and looked absolutely terrified!
by Red Frog rate this post as useful

Addendum 2008/3/4 19:34
Regarding my earlier posts, I should add, then, to be thorough: while there were plenty of tourists there at the auction site, who were well behaved, I do not recall anyone being obtrusive or interfering with business. In fact, I do recall several tourists even advising others not to use the flash when they were going to take a picture. It was definitely a unique experience and it would be too bad if other people missed out. Those fish were gigantic! However, in the interests of safety, I also agree that it would be better to have a separated area where people can observe the auction. The floor was treacherous, to say the least, and it's amazing no one fell and hurt themselves. Based on my recollection, they could probably do something like that right now.
by Bob rate this post as useful

tsukiji weekend/weekday 2008/3/8 10:25
is Tsukiji market open everyday of the week including weekends?and if so is visiting the market on a weekend as opposed to weekday any better/worse? thanks
by steve rate this post as useful

... 2008/3/8 11:01
No, it is not open on weekends, as explained here:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3021.html

open saturday? 2008/3/11 19:43
the link says it`s closed sundays and public holidays so i assume it`s open Saturday then? anyone confirm that?
by rob rate this post as useful

... 2008/3/11 23:25
yes, it is open Saturdays unless Saturday is also a public holiday.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

other activities 2008/3/12 00:40
Hi,

Is there other activities i can do in the market at 5am if i'm not going for the auction place?

Is there a map of the market??

Thanks in advance
by doubt rate this post as useful

tsukiji 2008/3/14 18:30
i heard the best time to go is between 5-9am?.......if I go at 6.30/7am will i miss much apart from the tuna auction?

just out of interest , what times does that usually start/finish roughly?
by matt rate this post as useful

reply to this thread