Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kyoto 2008/3/6 12:41
Hi, I will be in Kyoto for 1 day in early April and would like to visit the following places:

1) Kinkakuji
2) Kiyomizudera
3) Sagano Scenic Railway (from JR Saga Arashiyama Station)
4) Gion (Yasaku Shrine and maybe the Miyako-Odori at Gion Kobu Kabukai)

Based on wat I read, to get to Kinkakuji, I can take Bus 101/205 from Kyoto. To get to Kiyomizudera, its Bus 100/206 from Kyoto. May I know for the 4 places, which are close by and in which order should I visit them so that I dun spend too much time on travelling.

Thanks all in advance.
by Anxius  

It's hard 2008/3/6 18:04
Kinkakuji is located on the northwest area. however, Kiyomizudera is on the east area, the opposite side. the local bus system is really complicated. It's hard to tell you what is the best way to visit these places.

I recommend you to check this map.
http://www.city.kyoto.lg.jp/kotsu/cmsfiles/contents/0000019/...
by assili rate this post as useful

kyoto 2008/3/6 19:34
Why don't you rent a bike to visit Kyoto? It is cheap an very convenient.
Ask the TIC in JR Kyoto Station.
by Adelyn rate this post as useful

Nijo Castle 2008/3/7 07:49
You can get maps and information written in english at the Information center at Kyoto station.
Nijo castle is also very cool and very easy top get to.
by Daz88 rate this post as useful

. 2008/3/7 08:43
I would suggest you use the Raku Buses (100, 101, 102), not the regular city buses like the 206. The regular buses make many stops and you will loose valuable time.

As you donft say if you are staying in Kyoto or arriving for the day, Ifll suggest a route from Kyoto station.

Bus 101 to Kinkakuji. (City Bus All Day Pass, 500 Yen)

Bus 101 Kinkakuji to Kitano-Hakubaicho (Pass)

Kitano-Hakubaicho station to Randen Saga station. (change at Katabiranotsuji, 200 Yen, 18 min)

Transfer by foot to Torokko Saga station for Sagano Railway (600 Yen, 25 min)

Return from Umahori station by JR train to Kyoto station (320 Yen, approx 30 min)

Bus 100 to Kiyomizu (Pass)

Walk or bus 100, 202, 206, 207 to Gion (one stop, Pass)

Bus 100 back to Kyoto station (Pass)

Raku Bus, Bus Pass details:

http://www.city.kyoto.jp/koho/eng/access/transport.html

Kyoto Bus Map pdf:

http://www.city.kyoto.lg.jp/kotsu/cmsfiles/contents/0000019/...
by RobBeer rate this post as useful

Thanks.. 2008/3/7 14:54
Thanks Everyone for the great help and directions...

I took a map at the City Bus Map but realised that there are 2 different types of buses - Flat fare and non flat fare.. So if I were to get the 500Yen unlimited ticket, I can only use them on the flat fare buses right?

By the way, it'll be a day trip to Kyoto for me cause I am staying at Osaka. If I were to visit the above 4 locations, can I get it completed by 3pm if I starts at 8am in the morning? Cause I am thinking of going over to Hiroshima after Kyoto. Not sure if I am time though??
by Anxius rate this post as useful

same 2008/3/10 15:28
I would also visit Kyoto for 1 whole day (though would stay for a night), and thought of the same 4 destination that Anxious is looking for.

As I would stay near Maruyama Park, I thought of making the 1st trip to Kiyomizudera.

Can anybody help with the best efficient route: Kiyomizudera - Kinkakuji - Sagano Scenic Railway and Gion?

I do not mind to forgo Kinkakuji. Is it really worth to give it a visit?

I need advice for spending an evening at Gion.

Also, is Kyoto handicraft centre and Nishiki Food Market are worth to go? I like to avoid 'tourist destination shops'.

Any suggestion what and where to buy good items made in Kyoto?

Thank you!

by miki rate this post as useful

reply to this thread