Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

JET Programme/Housing Questions 2008/3/7 05:02
Hey guys, I have a few questions that i'd like to be answered if possible.

Firstly, can someone tell me how long I could live on 1,600,000 Yen for. This would be predominantly for rent and expenses such as food, drinks, taxes etc. I plan on starting off with 1,600,000 Yen if I get accepted on the JET Programme. That is just basic though, how long will I live on that for with no night life etc.

Secondly, can I get a driver's license while on the JET programme? Is car rental costly?

How much would an apartment in one of the smaller cities such as Kochi city be per month and how much would one in a larger city such as Osaka be for a month?

Can I travel abroad during vacation time on the JET programme?

Now some random questions just if anyone can give me any answers?

How much would the following cost on average?

A pack of potato chips
A can of Coca Cola
A movie theater ticket
A large McDonalds meal
A beer
Internet (P/month)
A camcorder
Cable TV (P/month)
A DVD rental
A new video game

Thanks for any help guys, I'll come back if I have any further queries :)
by Conor Murphy  

... 2008/3/7 12:49
I plan on starting off with 1,600,000 Yen if I get accepted on the JET Programme. That is just basic though, how long will I live on that for with no night life etc.

You could live for a year or more with careful planning.

Secondly, can I get a driver's license while on the JET programme?

Yes, but you may be restricted to driving on your off-work hours.

Is car rental costly?

Yes, from major companies, i.e. hertz, toyota, etc.

I know of some small companies that specialize in renting cars to foreigners and short time residents. They can be as cheap as 10000 yen per month. Check around with the local expat community wherever you get placed.

How much would an apartment in one of the smaller cities such as Kochi city be per month and how much would one in a larger city such as Osaka be for a month?

Rent varies a lot depending on location. Its cheaper the farther you get from the city centers. I'd expect to pay between 40000-60000 yen per month for something reasonable. You don't need to worry about this if you do JET though as your housing will be arranged for you. They will try to get you something reasonable.

Can I travel abroad during vacation time on the JET programme?

Yes, but you have to use your vacation days of which you get 20 per year. Keep in mind that holidays for the students are not holidays for the teachers.

How much would the following cost on average?

A pack of potato chips - 100 yen
A can of Coca Cola - 120 yen
A movie theater ticket - 1800 yen
A large McDonalds meal - 700 yen
A beer - 300-500 yen
Internet (P/month) - 3000-5000 yen
A camcorder - 30000+ yen
Cable TV (P/month) - no idea
A DVD rental - 200-500 yen
A new video game - 5000 yen

Did you apply this year for the JET Programme? I'm wondering because I get the impression from your questions that you're getting it confused with private eikaiwa companies.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread