Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tokyo Metro-Pass 2008/3/7 22:58
I'm going to stay in Tokyo with some friends for a week and I was wondering which is the best pass for using Subways/JR. We'll get around the town all the day and we'll use JR as well as Subways.
Which kind of pass is cheap and useful?
by kollaps  

... 2008/3/8 08:06
Suica/Pasmo prepaid cards are most convenient if you stay for several days (doesn't make sense if you stay just one day). And for the average traveler they also usually come cheaper than buying one day passes, unless you travel around the city like crazy.
by Uji rate this post as useful

... 2008/3/8 08:06
More about Suica and Pasmo:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2359_002.html

Also... 2008/3/8 08:38
I have a similar question about transportation in Tokyo. How does the Tokyo Free Kippu work? It says on the Toei website that it can be used on all subways including Tokyo Metro and JR East. Does this mean I can travel from Narita Airport to Shinjuku on this pass?
by CT rate this post as useful

... 2008/3/8 10:58
It says on the Toei website that it can be used on all subways including Tokyo Metro and JR East. Does this mean I can travel from Narita Airport to Shinjuku on this pass?

No! The pass is only valid in central Tokyo. Narita, however, is far outside of central Tokyo. The Tokyo Free Kippu is completely overpriced. No normal travel spends more than 1580 yen on urban transportation in central Tokyo per day. I estimate that the average traveler spends barely more than half of that per day.

_ 2008/3/8 11:04
Thanks Uji! Will look for the NEX/Suica pass instead.
by CT rate this post as useful

SUICA/Pasmo 2008/3/8 22:33
What is the difference between SUICA and Pasmo? Which should we actually get?
by Yen rate this post as useful

. 2008/3/9 04:54
What is the difference between SUICA and Pasmo? Which should we actually get?

In the Tokyo Area, essentially nothing. They are interchangeable, you can use Suica where Pasmo is accepted and Pasmo where Suica is accepted.

The exception would be using it outside the Pasmo/Suica area in say Osaka, but if for the Tokyo/Kanto region they are the same.

Suica is sold by JR, and Pasmo is sold by other railways.
by John rate this post as useful

- 2008/3/9 05:50
Also, is it possible to use the Suica card if I want to sightsee in Odaiba in Tokyo? (For the Rinkai or Yurikamome lines). And should I go to Kyoto afterwards, can I exchange my pass when I leave Japan at Kyoto, or only in Tokyo?
by Kia rate this post as useful

... 2008/3/9 06:46
Also, is it possible to use the Suica card if I want to sightsee in Odaiba in Tokyo? (For the Rinkai or Yurikamome lines).

Yes, Suica is valid on virtually all trains and buses in the Tokyo area, including the Yurikamome and the Rinkai Line.

And should I go to Kyoto afterwards, can I exchange my pass when I leave Japan at Kyoto, or only in Tokyo?

Suica can be returned and refunded only in the service area of JR East, which does not include Kyoto. So, you would have to do it while in Tokyo. On the other hand, note that Suica can also be used on JR trains in the Kyoto/Osaka area.

About the service areas of the JR companies:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2019.html

reply to this thread