Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

I would like to learn okonomiyaki 2008/3/7 22:58
Hi everyone, i am interested in teppanyaki/okonomiyaki.
I have thought of going to Japan to learn the them.
Does anyone have any idea how i can do it or does anyone have any suggestions or ideas, please post them, any information or help would be deeply appreciated ! THANK YOU !
by CWL  

... 2008/3/8 08:07
I recommend to use Google. You will find tons of information and recipes:
http://www.google.com/
by Uji rate this post as useful

hi 2008/3/8 13:45
Hi Uji, thanks for the reply.
I'm afraid i need a certain standard of making the dish as i plan to open a restaurant in the future.
So, i will need proper training on that.
by CWL rate this post as useful

Okonomiyaki 2008/3/8 16:43
Then you need to get a visa to study in Japan and enroll in a cooking school. of course you have to learn Japanese first.
By the way Okonomiyaki is not exactly gourmet food. All my Japanese friends here in North America make it at home when they have a bunch of friends and want to make a quick cheap snack. they just throw things together, adding this, substituting that, a bit like when they make home made Pizza. their Okonomiyaki taste great (and yes I have tasted Okonomiyaki many times in little food booths and small restaurants in Japan).
by Red Frog rate this post as useful

Red frog 2008/3/9 09:17
Hi red frog, thanks for your reply.
Do you happen to know where can i find such a school in Japan ?
I've tried seraching up the internet for academies like that but i couldn't find any one who teaches okonomiyaki/teppanyaki.
probably why because it isnt gourmet food.
I have also read that if you apply for a VISA to study in Japan, you cant work part time ? is that true ?
hope ot hearing from you soon ~
by CWL rate this post as useful

... 2008/3/9 10:31
I've tried seraching up the internet for academies like that but i couldn't find any one who teaches okonomiyaki/teppanyaki.
probably why because it isnt gourmet food.

Do you intend on opening a restaurant that serves both Okonomiyaki and Teppanyaki? If so I find that a little strange. Like a high class restaurant with a hot dog stand in the corner.

Just to give you an example, Okonomiyaki is everyday food like a burger or a pizza. You don't need to go to school to learn how to make it. In fact, the cook doesn't even cook it, just prepares the ingredients for the customer to cook.

Teppanyaki is often a prix fix course meal, and has specific etiquette and requires training. The guys that make teppanyaki are chefs.

Okonomiyaki costs 500+ yen while Teppanyaki costs 5000+ yen.

You can probably find a school in Japan that teaches Teppanyaki although you will need Japanese ability to do it.
As for Okonomiyaki, you are probably best off getting a part time job at a restaurant. If the high school kids can do it then so can you (except that you'll need Japanese to do this one too).

I have also read that if you apply for a VISA to study in Japan, you cant work part time ? is that true ?

You can work a limited number of hours per week with permission from the school and immigration.

see more immigration info here:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2221.html
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread