Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Arima vs Kinosaki Onsen 2008/3/9 03:08
Which of the 2 Onsen Villages offers a more complete experience in terms of more traditional ambience, yet lively, better choices of Onsen, beautiful scenery, etc?
by Mel  

... 2008/3/9 07:42
Kinosaki has the more traditional ambience (except bad car traffic). In fact, I would rank it close to the top in a ranking list of Japan's most traditional hot spring resorts:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3525.html

Both resorts offer neither bad nor breath taking scenery.

As for the baths, I can't judge, because I am not familiar with the baths of Arima. Kinosaki has some nice bath houses, but not many rotemburo (outdoor baths). I found them nice but not outstanding. Same goes for the water.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Thanks! 2008/3/9 08:00
Thanks, Uji. I really like Kinosaki Onsen despite scouting for many many hours for some place similar in ambiance but closer to Tokyo. I think my friend will kill me once the reality of sitting for 5-6 hours on a train for a night at an Onsen Village sinks in! That's why I am also staying 2 nights near Nara first. But it will be a round trip from Tokyo. So it isn't as bad as just Tokyo-Kinosaki-Tokyo.. She doesn't want to go to Kyoto as she's been.
by Mel rate this post as useful

What about Kutsasu Onsen? 2008/3/9 11:20
What about Kutsasu Onsen?
Is it comparable to those two places?

I am planning my trip and think about visiting a very out standing Onsen town in Japan?

Please kindly recommend.
Thank you
by Letseejapan rate this post as useful

... 2008/3/9 12:02
What about Kutsasu Onsen?
Is it comparable to those two places?

Kusatsu has the best onsen water I have experienced so far in all of Japan. Highly acidic, a strong sulfurous smell, smooth feeling thanks to sulfur sediments, and 100% natural (unlike many other hot spring resorts).

The town is nice thanks to the yubatake. But unfortunatelly, there is traffic in the town center and quite a few ugly buildings.

Kusatsu has very beautiful natural surroundings, including Shirane Volcano (not accessible in winter).

But my favorite hot spring town so far with respect to traditional townscape and good baths is Kurokawa Onsen in Kyushu. It has a lovely town and lots of very beautiful outdoor hot spring baths.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Shirane Volcano 2008/3/9 16:02
Thanks Uji for your kindly reply.

Is it possible to access Shirane Volcano on April 17, 2008?

What is the best way for Non-JR pass to visit Kusatsu Onsen?

Is there any buy or nomal train from Tokyo?

Thank you in advance for any advice,

by Letseejapan rate this post as useful

... 2008/3/9 16:17
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

new location 2008/3/11 14:28
What about 1st night in Karuizawa, 2nd night in Kusatsu Onsen and 3rd night in Oigami Onsen? This would be a much shorter trip out of Tokyo than to go to Nara (2nights) and Kinosaki Onsen (1 Night). But it is so hard for me to find accommodation for below Y14000/pax/nt w 2 meals at Karuizawa, Kusatsu and Oigami..
by Mel rate this post as useful

reply to this thread