Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

JR pass vs individual tickets? 2008/3/12 00:10
Should I purchase a 7 days JR pass vs buying point to point train tickets based on the following during a one week trip:

1. Travel from Narita airport to Shinjujku (2 ways)
2. Travel within Tokyo metropolitan area eg shibuya, roppongi, shinjuku
3. Bullet train from Tokyo to Kyoto (return trip) Should seats be reserved since my trip will be 1st week of April?

Just would like to check cost effective way. Thanks!

by joenjacq  

. 2008/3/12 10:31
If you are travelling to and from Narita and Kyoto within 7 days, yes, it will save you money. Even if you are doing Kyoto and Narita airport one way within 7 days , it will be cheaper. If one of the Narita sections falls outside the 7 days, try to make it the inbound trip to Tokyo and get the JR N'EX + Suica card deal:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2359_002.html#nex
by RobBeer rate this post as useful

. 2008/3/12 13:10
Should I purchase a 7 days JR pass vs buying point to point train tickets based on the following during a one week trip:

1. Travel from Narita airport to Shinjujku (2 ways)

3,310 yen x 2 = 6,620 yen

2. Travel within Tokyo metropolitan area eg shibuya, roppongi, shinjuku

One day JR Tokyo unlimited travel pass: 730 yen
Roppongi isn't covered by JR.

3. Bullet train from Tokyo to Kyoto (return trip) Should seats be reserved since my trip will be 1st week of April?

13,220 yen x 2 = 26,440 yen (Hikari reserved seats)

If you can finish the trip in 7 days, the pass pays, though you're unlikely maximize the value. The fact that you can't take Nozomi on the pass is the biggest drawback.

by optimistk rate this post as useful

JR pass vs individual tickets? 2008/3/13 01:46
Thanks for your advice, guys!

by joenjacq rate this post as useful

JR Pass 2008/3/13 02:44
I'd go with the JR Pass for sure. For me personally, it's so worth it not having to fumble around money, worry about missing trains (if you miss a reserved train, just hop onto the non-reserved section on the next one!), etc.
by Dan rate this post as useful

reply to this thread