Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Travel with Suitcase or Backpack? 2008/3/12 23:46
I have traveled in other countries before with a backpack ... but I think Japan will be different. It is not quite the "backpacker" country, like in Guatemala or Australia.
Please advise:
Medium-size SUITCASE or Kelty 4,500 cubic-inches

My travel plans:
Days 1-7:
Arrive Osaka airport, travel to Shiga-ken, travel to Kyushu for 3 days (Fukuoka, Beppu, Oita), back to Kobe, Kyoto, then to Wakayama (Koya-san),
Days 7-14: Tokyo.

I figure the pack would be more convenient to actually carry in train stations, but on the other hand, I will have to have different clothes for different occassions, including a dress for a wedding reception, a blazer and slacks for a professional meeting ...

I've heard of coin lockers, but in this case, it is pointless because I will HAVE to have my belongings with me all the time.
Any advice will help! Thank you!
by viajera4eva  

Backpack 2008/3/13 11:31
I traveled with my rucksack, 30-60L (3400-5200 cubic inches) sorry can't remember actual size, witch looks little shorter then the eKelty 4500' I saw on the web but width/depth about same.

I was able to fit the bag into the overhead shelve, on shinkansen and local trains, with minimal force. As for traveling around the cities, I traveled Kyoto/Sapporo/Hiroshima/Mt Fuji/etc (for 14 days), I didnft feel any undue glances that would make me feel uncomfortable.
If you bring a smaller bag, backpack, then you can leave your large bag (with clothes) at station/hotel and sightsee with your camera/passport/weather related product (hat/sunglasses/water/umbrella/etc).
by Pouliot rate this post as useful

Backpack is okay 2008/3/13 22:50
A backpack is okay to travel with in Japan and not many people will care much. If you choose to travel with a backpack, when on a train/subway/bus or on the train/subway platform, do not wear it on your back. Place it at or near your feet. Even if the train is some-what empty(no seats but a lot of standing space), still place the backpack at your feet. When a person is wearing a backpack on his/her back, even the smallest turn, will cause the backpack to swing around and this has been known to hit a person standing near. Wearing a backpack on a full train/subway is a "no-no", so are large bags on the overhead racks. So if you have to travel on a full train/subway, try to ride at the back end of the last car, there should be more space there, for your backpack at your feet.
by HNL Hawaiian rate this post as useful

Backpack 2008/3/14 03:52
I think a backpack is easier especially for the train.
by traveller girl rate this post as useful

reply to this thread