Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Credit Cards in Japan 2008/3/14 02:17
How widespread is the acceptance of credit/debit cards in Tokyo? I remember when I was there several years ago most transactions were cash only. I'm talking about trains, shops, restaurants, etc.

How about ATMs? Do they have cash advance & english menus?
by bidayuhboy  

. 2008/3/14 10:41
by John rate this post as useful

ATM 2008/3/14 10:55
you can use ATM in the 7-11 convenience stores. they are all over the place and have long hours. All the ATM I have used either change to English (in the screen display) after I insert my card or give you a choice of language. I am a bit confused about that right now as I have used ATM in a couple of countries and even my local ATM in North America give me a choice of languages but I never had language problems with Japanese ATM. my mistake once was entering 30 000 yen and getting my card back and no money until I realized that on that machine I was supposed to enter 3 only to get 30 000. Another thing: I only use a debit bank card in a ATM, not a credit card.
by Red Frog rate this post as useful

Credit Cards 2008/3/14 11:17
I use mainly cash, i find CC usage in Tokyo is very unpredictable. Even getting cash out from my CC is difficult with 3 out of 4 of hte Konbinis not servicing my card .... City Bank Japan mind you, so i would strongly suggest dealing with cash. Of course i also visit more low key places and i'm sure in international estabslishments or business expecting a high number of tourist they will cater for it.
by Neil Duckett rate this post as useful

cards 2008/3/14 14:41
Neil, depending on your country of origin credit cards don't always work in a ATM. If they do the bank consider the money withdrawn a cash advance (loan)on the credit card and charge a daily interest that can be fairly high if you "borrow" let's say $ 1000 at the start of a 3 weeks trip. The bank of course also charge the foreign money exchange conversion plus an ATM fee. With a debit card (a different card from the credit card) at least, you don't have to pay that "loan" fee. Some bank have a single card that can be used either as a credit card or a debit card (with a pin # and 1 or 2 switch #?) but I haven't seen one in my corner of the woods
by Monkey see rate this post as useful

Postal ATM is best.... 2008/3/15 00:08
in my opinion. I find I get the best exchange rate and never did notice a fee from them, I use my Visa and Bank card - both from the states - never had any troubles. Also the machines have an English menu - just push the on screen button that says English after inserting your card.
by chris in yokohama rate this post as useful

? 2008/3/15 00:31
Would a visa debit card work in Japan if you charged expenses instead of debiting them?
by ? rate this post as useful

Some accept, most smaller places don't 2008/3/29 16:46
To answer the question about charging credit instead of debiting items, it isn't always as smooth. Yes, while alot of the bigger stores like HMV and Tsutaya (bigger known cd shops) accept cards, alot of the convenient stores and fast foods don't. The last time I went, I had such a hard time finding places to eat because of this. I actually ended up eating in a fancy restaurant by myself since they were the only places that accepted cards. Not even the cinemas accepted cards. Just be a little careful and make sure you bring lots of cash.
by Al rate this post as useful

reply to this thread