Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

1 Day tour to nikko 2008/3/16 01:32
Hi, I will be visting japan in Mid April for 9 Days

I will be visting Nikko either in 12/13 Apr. Expected to reach Nikko at 12.30 and i am thinking of visiting Toshogu Shrine ad their nearby places and also Kegon in one afternoon but not sure whether is it possible before i take a train to Tokyo in the night

I will be purchase a JR Pass (ordinary) to japan

Please assist me

Thanks

by Siow Keat  

Get an earlier start 2008/3/18 12:37
The fastest way to Nikko on a JR Pass is to take a Tohoku Shinkansen to Utsunomiya and go downstairs to catch the local to Nikko. There are plenty of both trains, but depending on the connection, the entire trip will take you 2 - 2 1/2 hours (with a couple of faster and slower connections also).

I would leave around 8 or 8:30 AM at the latest if you wanted to take in a whirlwind tour. It takes about 20-30 minutes to walk up to the Toshogu Shrine area from Nikko Station, and if you check out the whole place, including the museums, you could fill 4 hours easily.

There is a bus stop up near the shrines along the main road, so you could hop a bus up to the Kegon Falls overlook at Akechi-daira, take the lift to the overlook, and then walk along the road to Lake Chuzenji and the gift shop above Kegon Falls.

The return could be after dark for a full day. Possible, but busy. I wouldn't try to get any further than Kegon waterfalls around Chuzunji.
by Anaguma rate this post as useful

reply to this thread