Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Medication 2008/3/16 02:32
Hi

I'm going to Japan in 10 days time. Can anyone tell me if I can buy Melatonin over the counter there? Also, am I imagining things, or did I read somewhere that nasal spray is a banned substance in Japan?
Thanks
by maggie  

... 2008/3/16 11:32
- About Melatonin, no, it is not available over the counter (not even through doctors I think - I might be wrong though) in Japan. People who need it rely on direct import from countries such as USA, where it is considered supplement, not pharmaceutical.
by AK rate this post as useful

... 2008/3/16 11:39
- Abour nasal sprays, I believe it is the substance "pseudoephedrine" that is banned, which is contained in some nasal sprays.

http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+43101
by AK rate this post as useful

Meletonin 2008/3/17 16:37
When I flew within Canada at an international airport, I had a bottle of meletonin on my carry on bag. she only read the label and let me go fairly quickly. I think you should be able to bring a bottle with you on one of your bags if your flying, seeing as meletonin is used to relieve jet lag, and some sleeping problems. though Japanese customs might not let you take it through. Im not quite sure what the rules are.
by Aaron rate this post as useful

Melatonin Answer 2008/3/17 17:24
I am in Japan now and have not seen Melatonin, but I brought some and had no trouble getting through security. I advise you bring your own unless you read Japanese. We have found most people speak very limited english.
by Linda P rate this post as useful

... 2008/3/17 17:39
Actually I myself once bought Melatonin tablet in plastic bottles at a duty free shop when I travelled outside Japan, and brought them into Japan no problem.
I don't think Metatonin is prohibited in Japan - it's just not available... I know local people who travel overseas on business a lot (thus really need Melatonin for reducing jet lag) simply buy some outside Japan and bring them back in.
by AK (Japanese) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread