Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tsukiji Fish Market to Imperial Palace 2008/3/17 16:12
Hi, can anyone tell me how can I get from Tsukiji Fish Market to Imperial Palace. I have a JR pass and will like to use it if possible.

Based on subway map, I am thinking of taking the subway from Tukijishijo sta (E18) to Daimon (E20). Then I'll walk to Hamansatsucho Station (JR Yamanote Line) and take the JR to Tokyo Station. Is it possible to walk from Daimon (E20) to JR Hamansatsucho? How long does it take?

Or is there any other way?

Thanks for all suggestions.
by First Trip  

. 2008/3/18 01:24
Based on subway map, I am thinking of taking the subway from Tukijishijo sta (E18) to Daimon (E20). Then I'll walk to Hamansatsucho Station (JR Yamanote Line) and take the JR to Tokyo Station. Is it possible to walk from Daimon (E20) to JR Hamansatsucho? How long does it take?

You can. It's about 6 to 7 minutes unless you get lost.

Alternatively, you could walk to JR Shimbashi Station from the market. It's about 15 minutes. Then catch the Yamanote Line train to Tokyo.
by optimistk rate this post as useful

Thanks optimistk 2008/3/18 09:46
Thanks.

From Daimon, by which exit should I leave the station to reach the Hamtsucho station? Are there any directions? Or are the 2 stations linked?

For the other way, is it easy to find directions to Shimbashi Station from Fish Market?
by First Trip rate this post as useful

. 2008/3/18 10:25
From Daimon, by which exit should I leave the station to reach the Hamtsucho station? Are there any directions? Or are the 2 stations linked?

The Oedo Line's platform is located on the 5th basement level. Go upstairs by escalator and exit from B2. When you get to the ground level, you see JR Hamamatsucho just in front.

For the other way, is it easy to find directions to Shimbashi Station from Fish Market?

Refer to the map in the link.
http://diddlefinger.com/m/tokyoto/tokyo/384348/?ch=5-2-1

thanks 2008/3/18 15:40
Thanks optimistk.

You've been such a great help to me. I'll be visting both the fish market and Imperial Palace in early April.

Palace. 2008/3/18 16:58
what do you mean by visiting the imperial palace? it isn't like Windsor or Buckhimgham or Versailles. Entrance is severely restricted and I understand that, at any rate, the interiors are modern bland, not movie Shogun style. At any rate you better walk from the market and take your time as many things are still closed by the time you leave the fish market. Are you aware of restrictions for visitors in the fish market? check previous posts
by Fan rate this post as useful

Imperial Palace 2008/3/19 00:14
If you have not already checked here is info on the Imperial Palace.
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3017.html
The east garden is very nice and you can spend the morning strolling the paths. There is a water fountain park across the street from the east garden entrance and Hibiya Park is nearby also.
by Steve rate this post as useful

Thanks.. 2008/3/19 10:31
Thanks Fan for yr concern.
Yes I've applied and obtained approval for the permit to visit the Imperial Palace. Although it seems like most people preferred to visit palaces in other areas, I will still like to at least visit the place once when I am in Tokyo. And yes. I am aware of the restriction for visting the fish market. We'll not be allowed inside the auction section. So most likely I'll just visit the areas which are opened to public.

Thanks Steve.
I'm planning to visit the East Garden too and have chosen a date to visit such that the garden is open.

. 2008/3/19 11:47
Me again.

And yes. I am aware of the restriction for visting the fish market. We'll not be allowed inside the auction section. So most likely I'll just visit the areas which are opened to public.

I contacted the department of the Metropolitan Governmentin charge of the management of the Tsukiji Market the other day.

According to the man who seemed to be in a middle management position, they try to prevent the public from entering the auction venue much more strictly from 1st April.

The fishery and wholesaler guilds may form a vigilante group in uniform or with the authorized badge to fend off the public trespass sometime in the future. They are fed up with ill-mannered visitors.

e.g. A drunk tourist swings an umbrella.
People sit on a frozen tuna to have their photo taken, or hug the tuna.
Camera flashes interrupt the hand signs to haggle over the prices at the auction, or visitors disrupt the hand sign communications by standing between the two parties.

Also there are a lot of traffic accidents on the premises. Most of the injured are taken to the Seiroka Hospital.

The injured (foreigners) often have difficulties having their medical expenses paid for through the compulsory automobile liability insurance bought by the company of the forklift or turret driver. The market authorities or even their embassies' officials must intermidiate the three parties.

The wholesale areas will be off-limit to the public until 9 am, but in reality they will let you in from 8.

Hope this helps.

U're so helpful Optimistk.. 2008/3/19 15:19
Hi optimistk, oh. so it seems I can only visit the place from 8am onwards. If I were to reach there at around 6plus and I wasn't allow to enter, is there any places nearby, within walking distance, which I can see, enjoy scenery or have breadkfast to pass the time?

reply to this thread