Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

2 weeks itinary advice 2008/3/18 09:10
Hi,

We are going to Japan, from may the 11th to the 24th

Here`s our itinary:

-11, arrival @ 15:00 at Tokyo, so a relax and probably sleepy evening. We stay at Keio Plaza Hotel.

-12, Tokyo, (Sumida boat cruise, Shinjuku, Shibuya and other)

- 13, Nikko

- 14, morning departure for Kyoto (staying at Montgomery Hotel)

- 15, AOI festival, Kyoto

- 16, Kyoto

- 17, Nara (half day) Kyoto evening

- 18, Himeli or/and Uji (half day, Kyoto evening)

- 19, Departure for Mount Koya, (staying 1 night at Shojoshin-in)

- 20, Return to Kyoto, but half day at Umeda or Namba, Osaka

- 21, Return to Tokyo

- 22, Kamakura

- 23, Tokyo (north part, and Roppongi in the evening)

- 24, departure at noon

As for the JR pass, Would a 14 day pass pay off?

For Kyoto, anyone ever tried the Montgomery hotel? I`m still worried a bit about the location...

Anyone has details about O`hara may festival?

Is it innapropriate/forbiden to film the morning prayer at Mount Koya?

Thank you

by T&K  

. 2008/3/18 19:38
A 14 day JR Rail Pass would save you money compared with buying individual tickets on JR trains, although you could get to Nikko and Himeji via other routes for less money. For convenience I would go with the pass.

If you are going to go to Uji you should do it on the way to or from Nara, as they are on the same train line. I would consider relocating to Osaka on the 18th, as it is nearer to both Himeji and Koyasan. I would suggest:

18. Morning Kyoto, luggage held at hotel. Afternoon to Osaka (stay Umeda or Namba area).

19 To Koyasan using Koyasan Free Sabic pass (the JR Rail Pass is useless for Koyasan), leaving most of your luggage at Osaka hotel:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2358_012.html

20 Return to Osaka, half day trip to Himeji.

21 Osaka to Tokyo.

BTW, I couldn't find anything on the Montgomery Hotel, do they have a web site?
by RobBeer rate this post as useful

. 2008/3/19 08:10
Thank you RobBeer,

Sorry, the name of the hotel is Monterey, not Montgomery...There isn't much reviews on this one, since its relatively new, but looks nice.

I will check your suggestion.

by T&K rate this post as useful

Hotel Location 2008/3/19 09:35
I am not sure what your concern is regarding the location of the Monterey. If it is the distance from Kyoto station, there is not much to the area. The hotel is a short walk from the main shopping area. I usually stay at a hotel about 3 bocks to the south.
by RobBeer rate this post as useful

Hotel Choice 2008/4/13 17:21
I never stayed at the Monterey, but if you plan to make Kyoto a base to go to Osaka, Himeji, Nara, etc. then you should stay closer to the station. Monterey was another subway stop from the station. It's ok if you don't have a lot of bags, but you will have to manuever your luggage on the subway. Not fun! I say stay at the Dai-ni Tower Hotel or the Kyoto Tower Hotel. Same price but right by the station.
by DaniMeg rate this post as useful

. 2008/4/15 11:10
Mmmm...we already booked the Monterey since we had a great deal. Yes, for the day/half day trips, weve tought at first about the Granvia, but the pricey rooms made us think twice, and would rather put more on the food; retaurants, than having 1 more star rating hotel...Plus, as RobBeer said, it is still a convenient aera.

The luggages arent gonna be that big, I'm more interested in bringing camera equipement than clothing...Its another story for my girlfriend tough...

But the main headache is the Kyoto itinerary...So many things to see and not enough time...

Thank you.
by T&K rate this post as useful

reply to this thread