Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

about working in Japan 2008/3/19 10:21
hi guys,

i would like to know, if i have all my visa stuff okay..is it possible to find a job in Japan even though i dont have a college graduation??is it possible or really impossible??

thanks for your answers
by Moe  

visas and jobs 2008/3/20 08:08
What do you mean by "if I have my visa stuff okay"? If you are under 31 and a citizen of Australia, NZ, UK, Canada or a few other countries, then you can get a working holiday visa for a year.

If you are from the States then without a degree you don't qualify for a working visa, so you wouldn't be able to get a job. A Bachelor's degree is the minimum requirement for a working visa in Japan.

If you mean you have a spouse visa or Japanese ancestry visa, then it is technically possible for you to get a job, and plenty of people on working holiday visas don't have degrees but find English teaching jobs or bar and restaurant work.
by Sira rate this post as useful

spouse visa 2008/3/21 11:31
yes i mean i will probably have a spouse visa...

so is it easy to get a job...

thanks for the answer
by Moe rate this post as useful

Working in Japan 2008/3/21 11:42
Moe,

The degree requirement is primarily an Immigration criterion for getting a working visa, so in your case, it is not a problem. It shouldn't be difficult to find work without a university degree, but employers will naturally choose graduates over less qualified candidates for teaching jobs.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

Japanese ancestry visa? 2008/3/21 19:32
I wanted to ask Sira about the Japanese ancestry visa. Being half-Japanese, can I have this visa? As of now, I have a student visa, but I'm planning to return when I graduate college and work here for five years.
I'm fourth generation Japanese American. Do I need a living ancestor in Japan to have this visa? I haven't heard of it before, that's why I'm asking.
by Miyuki rate this post as useful

visas and jobs 2008/3/21 20:19
Actually I shouldn't have said ancestry visa- that's what the UK equivalent is called. In Japan it's the "child of a Japanese national" visa, and I'm pretty sure one of your parents needs to have been a Japanese citizen for you to qualify, so it sounds like you might not, I'm afraid. A Canadian-born friend of mine spent quite a long time in Japan on that visa, but both her parents were born in Japan.

I think there is more info on that visa somewhere on this site.
by Sira rate this post as useful

i see 2008/3/21 20:54
thanks for letting me know. When the time comes I'll figure out the appropriate visa to use.

. 2008/3/21 21:20
One of your parents have to be a Japanese national to get the "Child of a Japanese National" visa. If your grandparents or maybe great-grandparents were Japanese nationals, then you might qualify for the "Long-term resident" visa. You'll probably have to get the koseki touhon of your grandparents, and also you and your parents' birth certificates to link yourself to your grandparents.

You should ask the immigration office for more details.
by K rate this post as useful

actually 2008/3/21 22:46
My great-grandparents were Japanese nationals. I could do some digging to prove it. Is that enough?? Also my grandpa's sister lives in Shinjuku and never left Japan. She doesn't know that I exist but perhaps that is enough to earn me that visa?

reply to this thread