Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Travelling to Osaka/Kyoto from Tokyo 2008/3/19 10:55
Hi there, I visited Tokyo last year and I've already booked my trip for this year June/July as well. Last year I only stayed in Tokyo for 2 weeks and this time im going for 3 weeks so i thought i should take a side trip to Osaka and Kyoto for 2nights/3days.

I've looked into buying the JR Pass for 7 days so travelling shouldnt be a problem unless someone knows of something in the osaka/kyoto area that doesnt let me use my JR pass?

My initial plan is to go to Osaka first and spend a day there, then later that evening travel to Kyoto and spend the night in Kyoto. Then spend the next day and night in Kyoto and then on the 3rd day just finish up in Kyoto and start heading back to Tokyo later that evening.

I know Kyoto is quite huge and i wanna visit the popular and main places but im not sure what they are. i definitely want to see the Kinkakuji (Golden Pavilion). can anyone recommend any good places to visit and also does anyone know a good hostel for the 2 nights in Kyoto? one thats in a good location/maybe near station.

Does anyone see any problems with this journey plan? I figured i would go to the main shopping/eating areas of Osaka and wonder around for a day before heading to Kyoto.If anyone has any suggestions to this itinerary please post! thank you.
by Chino Christomni  

enjoy 2008/3/20 05:07
You would think about more time in Osaka & Kyoto.(but depends on your schedule) There is so much to see especially in Kyoto. I stayed here a couple of years ago. Good location, cheap price, and met some very nice people while I was there.
http://costadelsol.co.jp/en/en_kyoto.html
there is an information office at the Kyoto station with maps and bus schedules.(the only good way to get around Kyoto)
You might think about a trip to Nara if you have time since you will be so close. So much to see there also.
by daz88 rate this post as useful

thanks for reply 2008/3/20 05:39
only thing is that I already booked my accommodation for 3 weeks in tokyo and any longer than 3 days in osaka/kyoto would be wasting my money in tokyo.

I really should have just planned 2 weeks in tokyo and buy a JR pass and travel osaka/kyoto/nara etc.. before arriving in tokyo but its too late now.
by Chino Christomni rate this post as useful

Osaka ,Tokyo 2008/3/20 08:38
Christo,
I have cancelled hotel rooms already booked many times and in many countries, including Japan, AFTER booking in. A couple of times it was because I didn't like the hotel, other times it was because at the last minute the flight was overbooked and I could only go 3 days later (that one was tough but it worked and with a Toyoko Inn too!)but most times it was because we changed our plans at the last minute for all sort of reasons, including bad weather. You could also call the hotel and tell them you have to shorten you stay. this might be easier to do that after your arrival. They may even help you get a room in an affiliated hotel in Kyoto. I wonder if other travellers can give you their take on that.
by Monkey see rate this post as useful

thanks 2008/3/20 20:04
Yeah i was thinking that but Im not going just by myself, im going in a group of friends and some of us are staying for 2 weeks in Tokyo and some for 3 weeks and its all confusing about what everyone wants to do and at the same time im trying to get this 3 day trip put into the itinerary so that it fits everyones schedule.

if anyone else has any suggestions on what to do around osaka/kyoto etc... feel free to post.
by Chino Christomni rate this post as useful

osaka/kyoto 2008/4/4 00:52
1)if U are into ancient, original castle, Himeji is a good side trip from osaka/kyoto. Abt 30min from Osaka stn.
Himeji-Jo is within walking distance from the train stn.
2)Fushimi Inari temple is famous for the countless tori that lined the steps. Fr Kyoto stn take the JR Nara Line, abt 15mins, the temple is just across the street.
3)Beef lover? Dun miss Kobe. Try their teppanyaki beef. Go for the set lunch, it's cheaper.Full set cost about 5000-7000yen.
by mcking rate this post as useful

reply to this thread