Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

buying a JR pass... 2008/3/20 08:48
Hey everyone! I will be taking my 2nd trip back to Japan at the end of April and since I will be going purely for vacationing I will be doing alot more traveling. I have been doing some research on whether or not I should purchase a JR pass, and I figured I could ask for some advice here, since so many of you are so knowledgeable about this stuff....

I will be arriving at Narita, and then going to Kyoto that night. Nara and Osaka are also places I will visit while I am in the area. After a few days I will be going to Tokyo and pretty much spending the end of my trip there. Is it worth buying a pass?

Thanks!
by monica  

. 2008/3/21 10:15
Generally speaking if you are going to do the Trip to Kyoto/Nara/Osaka from Tokyo and returning within a seven day period then a JR Pass would be ok. If it is more then 7 days then its cheaper by regular tickets. You can also save a bit more by utilizing discount tickets and options between Tokyo and Kyoto as well:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2363.html
by John rate this post as useful

JR Pass 2008/3/21 12:15
Plan your itinerary and then cost out the individual fares on hyperdia.com

Do remember that not all the trains it shows are NOT necessarily JR, click on the train symbol to see. Also, click on the "no nozami" box, you cannot use them with a JR pass.
by Peter HArcoff rate this post as useful

have you already bought your ticket? 2008/3/21 19:34
I mean your plane ticket? I'm just curious as to why you didn't buy your plane ticket to Osaka and leave from narita to back home?

Just wondering. If you already bought your ticket then no worries.
by Miyuki rate this post as useful

Re: buying a JR pass... 2008/3/21 20:39
I'm just curious as to why you didn't buy your plane ticket to Osaka and leave from narita to back home?
An open-jaw ticket is often considerably more expensive as you cannot use the cheapest airfare classes.
by Kappa rate this post as useful

re: 2008/3/22 01:48
first of all, thanks so much for your replies and help!

''Just wondering. If you already bought your ticket then no worries.
by Miyuki ''

the reason i will be flying into Narita and not Osaka which is obviously easier, is because i am using my aquired mileage to fly. Unfortunately AA no longer flies to Osaka.

Again, thank you so much everyone!
xoxo

by monica rate this post as useful

JR passes areGreat 2008/3/22 04:54
I bought one for 24 days use, I think they are well worth it. I used it to travelle all over Japan.
by littlewelshman rate this post as useful

reply to this thread