Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Boots in May 2008/3/20 11:49
I'm going to Tokyo in mid May and temperature is between 15-23deg. I would love to wear my boots but will I look weird? Do the Japanese wear boots in May? Thanks!
by Ashley  

... 2008/3/21 16:05
It depends on the design and the particular day's climate.

I did a real quick interenet search on "May+boots" in Japanese language, and there were indeed a few locals who wrote they dared to wear them. One wrote that she was fortunate to have chilly days. One wrote that it was so hot she gave up wearing them in the future.

Keep in mind that there might be sightseeing spots and restaurants where you should take off your boots/shoes.
by Uco rate this post as useful

go ahead 2008/3/21 16:44
I wouldn't worry so much about whether you will look weird, it's more a matter of if you get a hot day whether you are going to end up with hot, sweaty and uncomfortable feet. If that doesn't bother you, then go ahead- you won't be breaking any kind of fashion rule, you will see people doing/ wearing much stranger things in central Tokyo.
by Sira rate this post as useful

Thanks!!! 2008/3/21 18:38
Thanks Uco & Sira!

I'm from Singapore and we have summer all year round. it's my first time to Tokyo and May's temperature sounded cold so I thought sandals may be out. What kind of shoes should I bring?
by Ashley rate this post as useful

walking shoes 2008/3/21 19:19
drop the high heels cuz you'll be WALKING! As a tourist, that's all you'll do all day is walk. So bring something comfortable that you can imagine yourself wearing all day for one day and all day the next day.
by Miyuki rate this post as useful

cowboy boots? 2008/3/21 20:58
Ashley, cowboy boots are "in" and can be seen pretty much all year round. Actually, I just saw a post on a Japanese forum saying that boots that come higher than your knees look too winter-y already.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Taking off/on 2008/3/22 02:45
You might also want to consider (besides walking A LOT) that if you're sightseeing, you may be needing to take off your boots and put them on a lot. If your boots aren't easy to remove or put on, you might want to consider something else.
by kyarinchan rate this post as useful

temps 2008/3/22 07:53
15-23 deg actually sounds kind of cool for May- you would definitely get some days that were 26 or above, and 15 would be an absolute minimum.
by Sira rate this post as useful

Boots for vanity 2008/3/22 17:06
Thanks everyone!

In the name of vanity, I'll wear my boots to Japan in May! I'll bring along a pair of comfy wedge for sightseeing days. And boots will be for shopping. That should do nicely right? :)
by Ashley rate this post as useful

reply to this thread