Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Wakkanai to Abashiri? 2008/3/21 06:28
I will be travelling in Hokkaido in June 2008.

Is there still a bus service along the coast between Wakkanai and Abashiri?

Are Japan Rail Passes valid on these bus services?

Can one hire cars in Wakkanai and drop off in Abashiri or Engaru or Asahikawa?

Thanks for any answers and advice.

Johannes.
Cambridge, UK.
by Fires  

Car rental website 2008/3/24 17:36
I am not sure about the bus service but I do know you could check the drop-off charges from the rental company. I think it will be quite a hefty charge since they charge according to the distance.

you can click on the inquiry link at the bottom of the webpage.

http://www2.tocoo.jp/?file=rentcar_inbound/main
by yunxi rate this post as useful

I'm pretty . . . 2008/3/25 08:51
. . . sure there is a bus from Wakkanai to Mombetsu, but doubt there is one that goes all the way to Abashiri.

As you know, there is no train to Mombetsu. I had a car rental and drove from Wakkanai to Abashiri but it's around 275 km so I spent most of my time passing truckers and didn't have much time to sightsee. There is a long stretch of beach to Mombetsu but not much in the way of roadstops or restaurants. Mombetsu has a nice ice flow museum worth visiting and it's a Russian town.

Genghis Khan lamb is supposed to be popular as you approach Abashiri but I could never find the famous roadstand.

Getting a rental car should be no problem in Wakkanai.

Northern Hokkaido is famous for red hozai shrimp. Any supermarket sells them boiled.
by Clevor rate this post as useful

reply to this thread